PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not the biggest fan of electro-quartz lighters....
they seem harder to get lit.

I've had 2 IM Corona Pipemasters for over 6 months. Harris/Cigarmaster is the one that convinced me to buy those models, he's had Pipemasters for a number of years and swears by them. I have a Kiribi coming in today, so I'll now get to test both brands.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I guess my beef is mainly in the wind. A flint seems to light easier outside, even on a butane.

99% of my smoking is inside. If I'm outside and want to smoke, I usually switch to cigars. A spark is a spark is a spark. The IM Corona Pipemaster seems to have a superior piezoelectric crystal and lights the first time most of the time. None of the soft flame lighters seem to work well outside in the wind.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've had 2 IM Corona Pipemasters for over 6 months. Harris/Cigarmaster is the one that convinced me to buy those models, he's had Pipemasters for a number of years and swears by them. I have a Kiribi coming in today, so I'll now get to test both brands.

Kiribi Kibuto Silver Satin arrived today. I purchased this from Cigar Manor for around $58 shipped thanks to the 30% holiday discount. Ordered Friday mid day, arrived today (Monday). I'd call that great service. You have to have $90 worth of products in your cart for the 30% code to apply. Heckuva deal though.

Initial impressions of Kiribi. Has heft to it, seems solidly assembled. I like the little lever but it is slightly clumsy to operate it with one hand. I think just a bit of practice will improve that. Flame adjusts easily. Lights on first try most of the time. I prefer the Pipemaster for sparking the flame. Effortless one hand manipulation. OTOH, I like the Kiribi for lighting the tobacco. You can singe your fingers with the Pipemaster as you have to continue to hold down the switch to keep the flame lit.

Assuming the fuel capacity in the Kiribi is sufficient and it proves to be reliable over time, that's a great deal. I may buy another one. I don't see anybody going wrong with either of these brands of lighters.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The little lever is, uh, interesting. I find it's easier to ignore it, and just flip the lid up with my thumb, then strike down to roll the wheel. I use my soft flame butanes in winds up to about 12 mph. More than that, I jump behind a building or tree. Or hit my torch if I have it on me.

I think you'll like your Kiribi.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
After using the Kiribi Kibuto for over a week, I have to say I'm impressed. I used to think I'd prefer the convenience of the electronic IM Corona Pipermaster which I have two of. Surprised to find I prefer the mechanical Kiribi. Lights first time every time and seems to have a huge butane capacity. May be worth noting that I've been using the Xikar Premium High Altitude butane and love it.

I liked the Silver Satin Kiribi so much, I ordered a black leather twin which came in today. I don't remember who posted about the sale at Cigar Manor, but thank you! 30% off. $99 minimum purchase to get the discount but I buffered it up with some additional Kiribi Flint's. Of course, I can't attest to the long term reliability but the lighter seems very solidly built and will put together. And I can't offer a direct comparison to the same style IM Corona but at 25% or more less in price, I'll take the Kiribi.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have used a brass Kiribi for a grand total of two bowls so far, and I really like it. Still fighting the urge to point the flame into the bowl, but it lights well enough if you hover the flame above, like a zippo. Looks like it would be easy to scorch rims if you get too enthusiastic.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have had a Kiribi Kabuto for 3 years now (?) and love it. I have the tall one. Holds a lot of fuel, nice dual flame. If I keep it clean it lights up effortlessly but if I neglect the cleaning it can be a bit difficult. I like the one handed grab, flip 14177and light. Its one of those things where I am so happy with it I wouldn't buy anything else if I needed a 2nd lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.