Status
Not open for further replies.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
This came in the mail today!!!

And it's nice and sunny in the B~loNY
MissouriMeerschaum3JPG_zps12b24fb4.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions to seek out corn cobs.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I do wish we could get those grab bags over in the UK. Even one cob can be as much as £12 over here. Thats like $18!

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
£12? Dayam! That's a lotta' cash!

Of course you know, those cobs are going to ruin the briar experience for you

I hope not. I like my briar :)

I'm hoping to get to know tobacco really well and then smoking my favorite tobacco (which I haven't smoked yet) in my favorite pipe (which I don't know if I own yet.) I may just stick to corn cobs because that may be what I like.

There are some tobaccos that I really want to try, but haven't bought yet. And there are definitely pipes that I'd like to try, but haven't bought yet. Or, I'll just stick to the pipes I have. This is all so new to me. I think I want my quest to begin with the tobacco itself. Maybe the pipes will just fall into place. Or, they already have.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Missouri Meerschaum Madness! [:)] happy smoking [:puffy:]

Thanks! Unfortunately, I have an appt and have to wait :(
Sweet! Just got a freehand in the mail today. Maybe next time I'll go for the grab bag.

*Googles freehand*

Oh, that can look like a work of art.

Did you post a pic?

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
You will definitely love the cobs. They will do just what you want: bring out the tobacco taste, just like its bigger brother, the prince of pipes, meerschaum.
That is just a nice collection and I hope you enjoy them all.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
You will naturally acquire pipes all the time, just like the rest of us! Its as much of the hobby as smoking the damn things. I would definitely recommend trying loads of samples rather than spending loads on full tins, opening them all to try and them drying out as you keep trying new ones. The samples are 1 or 2 bowls size to give it a go, write down your faves and then buy the tins!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Looks like are really on your way to discovering what tobaccos you like.
Happy smoking and let us know what you are liking/discovering. You will find over time that you will start to gravitate to certain posters due to your similarity in tastes.
I also agree with snewton to try some samplers. If you haven't already, start a log book or pipe diary that tells you x tobaccos you smoke with y pipes, and record your experience. (I know I know, I am a geek). I think this is helping me find which one of my pipes "works" better with certain tobaccos. With that in mind, I would allocate one or two of your cobs to aromatics and keep it at that.
Just my .02
Dan

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
If Kevin actually got $0.02 for every two cents given on this site, he would be one rich man!!

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Thanks Roth, that is a great idea. I think I would know someone who could do that yes. Will have to bear that in mind!

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Only having a few briars, cobs seem to pull the most weight in my rotation. Nice haul, enjoy! :puffy:

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Misu, you're off to a great start with all those cobs.
I enjoy seeing your enthusiasm and the amount of thought that you have put into pipe smoking.

Keep us posted on what blends you like and forum members will guide you towards blends similiar to what you like.
"There are some tobaccos that I really want to try, but haven't bought yet. And there are definitely pipes that I'd like to try, but haven't bought yet."
I think just about everyone on the forum shares that feeling with you!
Happy smoking!

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
amazing pickup! always wanted to do the grab bag and now i'm definitely going to get one of my own :). All you need are some nice stems from Walker briar works or corncobpipes on ebay!!

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I've used a mini and I used what I think is a 5th Ave. I smoked Velvet in both. It tasted nasty in the mini. I wasn't sure if that's because it's a mini and I was closer to the heat source or if it was just plain nasty. So, I smoked Velvet in a bigger cob and it tasted just as nasty. It made my tongue mad it bit so harsh. So now I'm left to wonder if there was a ghost of the Sunset Rum in the briar that made the Velvet taste good? Or, do briars have a calming effect on tobacco? Or do cobs smoke more true?

I'm not giving up on my cobs. I'm going to fill a bowl with some Seville, and have some Wild Turkey on the rocks after dinner to see. I'm betting it's the Velvet Tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.