Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
B~loNY = Buffalo, NY

Most people call it B-lo. With the taxes I pay? I think it's b-lony :D

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Velvet is an OTC.

I'm keeping a journal. Most of the info came from: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm

Made from sun-ripened Kentucky Burley, aged to mellow perfection in nature's slow but sure way.

Country of Origin: US

Curing Group: Air Cured

Contents: Burley

Cut: Ribbon

Impression: Nasty, harsh, very biting. Won't buy again.
With the exception of the "Impression" part. That's MHO (My Humble Opinion)

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
When I got home from the B&M today I tried Old Toby in a mini cob. I like it way better than Velvet (I bet I can say that for just about any tobacco from here on out) It's pretty mild. It had a baby bite to it. I think the mini cob is the source of biting. Maybe the stem is too short and this makes the hot tobacco too close to puff. I'm going to try it again in a bigger/longer stemmed cob. I bet it will bite less, or hardly any in a bigger pipe.

They had the cutest mini briars at the B&M today. I almost bought one. I didn't. I have to but my wallet on lock down until all that I bought comes in the mail and I've tried all that I bought.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Velvet is some pretty crappy stuff.

Yeah, I whole-heartedly agree. I won't be buying that again.

I like my bigger cobs though. The mini's stems seen to be too short. The tobacco is too hot or something. I like the size of the bowl for a quick smoke with hubby when he's smoking a cigarette but I have yet to fins a tobacco mild enough for them. Maybe that will be my new quest - to find a tobacco mild enough for the mini cob. :)

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
try lane 1q or perhaps, sugar barrel both are fairly mild

also try let the baccy get super dry(less moisture=less steam=less bite)

I personally don't like anything in the 1 mini cob I got, but you have those Elizabethan clays and they make great quicky smokes

Dec 24, 2012
congrats misu - I picked up one of those grab bags last year and it is great to have a bunch of cobs at your call

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
have you tried the boswell blends? they are great, so are blends from the tobacco barn. Especialy treasure Chest.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
have you tried the boswell blends? they are great, so are blends from the tobacco barn. Especialy treasure Chest.
No, but I'm going to put them on a list to buy.
1Q or sugar barel
+1 :puffy:

And these too. I have a list going for the next time I can but more tobacco.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
LOVE MM cobs. They most definitely are my travel pipes, but I find myself smoking them at home more often than my briars too. Love love love.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
you'll love boswell. those are delicious. 1q and sugar barrel are both good suggestions too.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I'm liking my cobs too, Moses :) I'm saving my briar for the tobacco that I think I should dedicate it to. I have 6 other "vintage" briars that I have to clean (ruin) before I can use them.

Chopz, Are Boswells the pipes that are sold here: http://boswellpipes.com/pipesforsale.html ?

They're nice!

Jul 15, 2011
Chopz, Are Boswells the pipes that are sold here: http://boswellpipes.com/pipesforsale.html ?

They're nice!
Misu, if you are ever in the market for a high quality briar, Boswell pipes are some of the best pipes that can be found in that price range. I bought two recently with my tax money and they smoke so cool and the draw is so free that it doesnt matter what tobacco I load it with, it just tastes oh so good. I have a nosewarmer and a more stout billiard and I couldnt ask for more. Definitely worth owning one if you get the cash together some day.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
i got a bag about a month ago. an egg, a McArthur, two pony's and 6 legends....

I like the legends and all, and i like the idea of the egg, but it's turned out a bit heavy...

the ponys were the big surprise... i cant believe how much i love the small size... fantastic...
happy congrats.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Sweet! Just got a freehand in the mail today. Maybe next time I'll go for the grab bag.

*Smacks Head!*

Oh! I got it. Yes, sometimes it takes me a while, but eventually, it sinks in. :oops:

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
the ponys were the big surprise... i cant believe how much i love the small size

I have the mini's, which, I think, are smaller. I like the mini's for a quick smoke like when hubby goes out for a cigarette, but I think they make the tobacco harsher. There's not enough stem to cool off the tobacco. Or, I'm just that inexperienced - which could be the case. But when I try the same tobacco in a bigger pipe, the tobacco is pleasant.

smokinokie

Lurker
Apr 9, 2013
Where do you get these grab bags? Also have any of you tried one of the new M.M. Hardwood pipes? I recently bought a maple diplomat, and I love it! Currently my favorite pipe.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
yes that's the boswell i meant. but i was referring to their tobacco blends. really delicious stuff. i have 2 of their pipes and those are excellent as well. if you wanted a cherry blend for example you might not be able to do better than their pennsy dutch treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.