PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I find that for me, no matter the pipe, it tastes better, performs better, and is more pleasurable when it has sat for an extended period of time.

Average pipes, good pipes, excellent pipes, even "bad" pipes all seem better to me with that extended rest.

Why point out what some may feel is the redundantly obvious? Because it changes my potential perception of how many pipes I may want to acquire and keep in my possession.

I have begun gathering a fair # of pipes, mostly estate, and mostly in the "cheap" or affordable range, with the idea that I'd simply take my time and sort through them with a discovery process and find the ones that fit best with me. (I've definitely found some wonderful little no-name gems, and some beat-up brand-name pipes this way.)

This plan has begun to unravel though, as I've discovered that even my "good" pipes, my new pipes, my "quality" pipes will all decrease performance to a degree, when they are used repetitively, day after day. And I clean them out after every smoke.

Thus, I'm now leaning toward retaining a much larger # of pipes than I had originally thought.

Simply because even my "favorites" are more delightful with that stated resting period. (Naturally I wonder about those who in the past used the same pipe day after day. I don't think I'd appreciate the leaf as much if I only had one tool to use...)

So this is simply a musing on the justifications of maintaining a larger collection than originally intended. I'm sure many will be culled, but the final #'s could be a lot more than say, a 7 day rotation or similar. As I've found that a week of rest is good, but more is better.

Is that why you've got more pipes than you thought you would, or it's not the same for you?

Cheers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I might smoke 4-6 pipes a day and always use a fresh one with a different blend. I clean the piss out of my pipes after every use and they smoke as I expect them to. I don't remember the last time I smoked the same pipe in one day and I also cannot remember smoking the same blend in one day.

I have plenty of pipes and tobacco so no need to double up. I like a nice clean pipe that has been dried properly and the tobacco I smoke which is almost always flakes tastes great ever time out. I don't do average smokes, I strive for the perfect smoke every time and I am very good at making that happen.

Last edited:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I strive for the perfect smoke every time and I am very good at making that happen.
I continue to strive to have the best session possible every time. I'm finding that for myself, fresher pipes do help with that. And in my case, it helps me to explore a new blend in different pipes, and I am more likely to repeat the same tobacco in sequence and enhance my learning of it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I continue to strive to have the best session possible every time. I'm finding that for myself, fresher pipes do help with that. And in my case, it helps me to explore a new blend in different pipes, and I am more likely to repeat the same tobacco in sequence and enhance my learning of it.
Figure out what works best for you as my way might not be yours. One thing I am a freak about is smoking from a clean pipe that has been rested. Sone guys smoke the same pipe multiple times a day with the same tobacco year in and year out. That works for them so who am I to judge their way.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Over the years i have done both methods, smoked the same pipe only once in a month and at the other end, smoked multiple daily bowls in the same pipe ALL month. I certainly appreciate starting each smoke with a clean pipe, but I have not really distinguished difference from the rest period. I do tend to rotate a bit for variety, so am generally getting a rested pipe by default...unless I am focussed on trying to colour that stubborn meer!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've plenty of average pipes, and plenty still to try that I've already gotten.

It just seems that instead of searching for a small # of "better" or "excellent" pipes, I'm going to be more pleased with the ability to grab any one of a few dozen "good" pipes and get an experience I enjoy.

Means I'll likely be ending up with and keeping many more pipes than I first anticipated.

Maybe I need to go back to that thread with the pipe rack for sale...

Thanks for chiming in.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I agree with this. Even my unsmoked pipes that I break in (and keep very clean) benefit from a months nap.

Some people are more about just sucking up some nicotine from a “device” and throwing the pipe in a drawer afterwards. After decades of smoking a pipe I find, for me and seemingly an increasing amount of pipe smokers, it is more about the experience. I am smoking better tobacco, less often, in order to enjoy it more. No one appreciates a drink of water like someone who’s thirsty.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
GLP claims that a pipe might not need rest if you smoke straight VAs in it, but that it needs lengthy rest if you smoke latakia in it:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
GLP claims that a pipe might not need rest if you smoke straight VAs in it, but that it needs lengthy rest if you smoke latakia in it:
Well that could explain a lot in my case, I'm all over the Latakia and it's close friends!

Reactions: SBC
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Seems like success in not-resting tracks with blends that DGT well...

Reactions: FLDRD