PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Would these jars work? I still got a bunch of them... What I'm thinking off is the lid closing mechanism when tobacco ages and expands putting pressure on it. Maybe remove the rubber ring to let air escape a bit?

Screenshot_20210323_205220.jpg

Reactions: Mr_houston

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I don't see why not; I have several of the ikea jars I use for storing dry foodstuffs and often when I unclip the wire i need to use a knife to prize the seal away from the jar before they can be opened. So they certainly seal pretty well.

Caveat. I've never used them for tobacco storage simply because I don't buy bulk (not practical when you are buying overseas) and store in the original tins/canisters.

Reactions: BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Those look like they would work. Rubber seals.

I use the Bormioli Fido jars myself, and I have tobacco that's been stored in them for years that's kept well. You could put some tobacco in one and see how it keeps. If it's not all dried out after a few months then you're probably OK.

Not all bail jars are made the same. Some seem to be made for decoration and have cheap plastic seals. They are mainly just made for presentation for certain products and aren't airtight.

Reactions: Reggie and BROBS

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
You need to check the IKEA jars for leaks at the seals with drying, and the ones manufactured in France for microphones.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Those look like they would work. Rubber seals.

I use the Bormioli Fido jars myself, and I have tobacco that's been stored in them for years that's kept well. You could put some tobacco in one and see how it keeps. If it's not all dried out after a few months then you're probably OK.

Not all bail jars are made the same. Some seem to be made for decoration and have cheap plastic seals. They are mainly just made for presentation for certain products and aren't airtight.
^^ right here. A good bale top jar will seal just as well as a ball jar.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I've got tobacco stored in IKEA jars for three years and more with no problem at all.
The rubber seals are thick and haven't shown any signs of cracking.

Berg

Lurker
Mar 9, 2021
Australia
Actually bought some today (plus some spare seals) to see how they go. Good to hear they work alright, especially being cheap as they are.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Like many others on here, I just use Ball jars, but seriously, go with whatever works. This really is rule #1. I wouldn't bother with Ikea myself, because the last thing in the world I want to be doing with my weekend is trying to decide between a Faltvaad, a Glorfnab, and a Kreulzbleurg.

(note: I cannot use umlauts or those Os with the slash through them, so you'll just have to pretend they're there)

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
Like many others on here, I just use Ball jars, but seriously, go with whatever works. This really is rule #1. I wouldn't bother with Ikea myself, because the last thing in the world I want to be doing with my weekend is trying to decide between a Faltvaad, a Glorfnab, and a Kreulzbleurg.
That's easy. Faltvaads are for VaPers unless they also have DFK in them in which case you want to use a Kreulzbleurg. If it's an aromatic then it absolutely should be stored in a Glorfnab, unless it's an aromatic english in which case you want a Kreulzbleurg again. Balkans can safely be stored in either a Kreulzbleurg or Glorfnab, though once they hit about 5y of age then you should really be thinking of transferring them to a Faltvaad or preferably a Pinzelkruf though some people prefer the way the oriental components age in a Kogenburgenhofmuensterkraftwesselsheft. It's really all personal preference though, some people care about their tobacco, some people are just philistines.

• Haha
Reactions: Servant King
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
OK, my first thought were - the jars arrived broken and you had to assemble them.
I had a 1 gallon "ball" jar arrive in Ikea fashion from an Amazon order... I was going to use it for fermented hot sauce, but it was shattered.

Reactions: SpookedPiper