PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Seems a perfectly reasonable request. A few years back I was a founding member of a forum which wanted to include political discussion, which is, quite sensibly, not allowed here.

The administrator set up a sub forum for political discussion that was made invisible to people not signed in, and was invisible even to members unless they opted in. That way the somewhat "colorful" views of the brain donors who love to wallow in political "discussion" wouldn't disturb other members who had no interest in such topics, or preferred something more compelling than ad hominem rants and posturing.

It worked for a while until the infantile, intellectually retarded level of "political discussion" started bleeding into the main forum space. It became so bad that I was forced to pull my financial support which sent the forum out of existence since all those political gurus were also deadbeats.

forum which wanted to include political discussion, which is, quite sensibly, not allowed here.
We say it's not allowed here, but the reality is that we have a huge faction of people who seem to spurt their political crap just wherever they want. What is not allowed is commenting back. I wish we took a harder line on this. Mention a politician or the words liberal or conservative and get a vacation. Otherwise, we just get spewed on with no way to get the stupidity off the thread.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We say it's not allowed here, but the reality is that we have a huge faction of people who seem to spurt their political crap just wherever they want. What is not allowed is commenting back. I wish we took a harder line on this. Mention a politician or the words liberal or conservative and get a vacation. Otherwise, we just get spewed on with no way to get the stupidity off the thread.
I have to agree, though compared to 7 years ago it's much more circumscribed. There is a certain delicacy of action concerning dealing with political psychobabble here, which is well understood by those who engage in it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No kidding. There’s no discussion just political turds dropped in threads that warrant a response, but if you respond you’re “discussing politics”. How about whoever said the first comment STFU?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think ignore options are great. Some people don't say enough worthwhile stuff but have their certain precious opinions that some how can be forced into relating to anything ever. I think the irony is that people will complain about how it limits speech but they'll hijack a forum like this and actually do far more to limit the amount of things discussed and more importantly the quality of things discussed. I am happy to say there aren't too many people I have to ignore here (I don't have to agree with anyone, but it's nice not have to shake ones head wondering how some people have survived a world where bleach and water look so similar and no one has put warning labels on rocks about their inedibility.)
I guess that's a wordy way of saying I think a feature to ignore more things would be swell. And really it would just be an option.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Seems a perfectly reasonable request. A few years back I was a founding member of a forum which wanted to include political discussion, which is, quite sensibly, not allowed here.

The administrator set up a sub forum for political discussion that was made invisible to people not signed in, and was invisible even to members unless they opted in. That way the somewhat "colorful" views of the brain donors who love to wallow in political "discussion" wouldn't disturb other members who had no interest in such topics, or preferred something more compelling than ad hominem rants and posturing.

It worked for a while until the infantile, intellectually retarded level of "political discussion" started bleeding into the main forum space. It became so bad that I was forced to pull my financial support which sent the forum out of existence since all those political gurus were also deadbeats.
For a second there I thought you were describing a very different forum (which is still in existence), but I remember the one you're talking about - that was a wild, albeit short, ride.

For a second there I thought you were describing a very different forum (which is still in existence), but I remember the one you're talking about - that was a wild, albeit short, ride.
I don't know why the F anyone would want to stretch themselves over several forums. I was on that one that Sable is talking about, but even back then it was way too easy to forget about that forum. There are days when this one is s l o w a s h e l l , but even then, why go give credence to the competition?

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Facebook and other platforms have specialized in catering what users can see, want to see, etc. Of course, if a user wants to engage in any platform the way they want to that works best for them, that is understandable. My only concern, which isn't specifically about this forum, is that the internet is the greatest tool for supporting tribalism that the anti-evolutionary force of life has ever created. As a force for good or social unity, it has certainly failed at most, if not all of those expectations. I am sure there are exceptions that can be found.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't know why the F anyone would want to stretch themselves over several forums. I was on that one that Sable is talking about, but even back then it was way too easy to forget about that forum. There are days when this one is s l o w a s h e l l , but even then, why go give credence to the competition?
The political pigpen sucked the life out of that forum, just killed it dead. Political "discussion" is a forum killer.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Perhaps Jud should’ve titled this thread
“Ignoring Content, please don’t answer the question, just type whatever makes you feel special.”
I think a large portion of the internet forum thing on any forum is exactly that. People think they are being incredibly original, creative, funny and special in their posts and not really staying on subject. I don't mind. It's what makes internet forums fun. You can't take this stuff too seriously or you'll go bonkers. For real answers to questions don't ask on an internet forum. Internet forums can be the comic books of information.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just a heads up, but Jud is a really, really nice guy that always has the most helpful posts and comments. I am sure he is asking for a very good reason, not to just kill off posts.
He's always seemed like a very nice person. I just gave the simplest answer I know of. The only reason I see for blocking someone is to prevent them from reading your own posts and responding to them.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
He's always seemed like a very nice person. I just gave the simplest answer I know of. The only reason I see for blocking someone is to prevent them from reading your own posts and responding to them.
I don't want to block anybody - but I am here to talk about pipes and tobacco. Every now and then I toss in a "what am I listening to or reading" comment, but that is pretty much it. I don't want to talk about food, or watches, or what shows people are watching, etc. It would much simplify my feed if I could leave out subjects I am not interested in discussing, here.

And thanks for the kind words, Hoosier.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't want to block anybody - but I am here to talk about pipes and tobacco. Every now and then I toss in a "what am I listening to or reading" comment, but that is pretty much it. I don't want to talk about food, or watches, or what shows people are watching, etc. It would much simplify my feed if I could leave out subjects I am not interested in discussing, here.

And thanks for the kind words, Hoosier.

I'd respond but I blocked you Jud. LOL I understand what you're saying. There's some threads I never open based upon the subject matter. There's a few I wish I hadn't of opened as well. LOL In general, this site is about leisure and hobby, it's certainly not adding anything to my wallet. So I accept a lot of casual nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.