PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it would be ignoring certain threads since I mostly use the “New Posts” feature to view content.
Ok, like you mean, ignoring a specific thread you've scanned and realize that you don't want to know what people have to say about that any further. Damn, my curiosity would kill me, ha ha. It would be like skipping the news when they come to the train wrecks or plane crashes, ha ha.
I have told myself not to comment on certain ones... but then ended up just HAVING to post a quip.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Maybe this is the codger in me talking but........ It is amazing how we want an easier and easier way of going through life on the internet when we can simply make a choice by clicking or not clicking on something, isn't it? I'm guilty of it and I'm sure everyone else is too. No wonder the internet has spawned tons of 25 year old internet savvy millionaires (San Francisco has been taken hostage by those 25 year olds!).
I don't like you or what you post? I don't read or respond to your posts. I don't put you on some kind of ridiculous ignore list. I'm not a child. It's all kind of funny and sad at the same time. :LOL::(

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Maybe this is the codger in me talking but........ It is amazing how we want an easier and easier way of going through life on the internet when we can simply make a choice by clicking or not clicking on something, isn't it? I'm guilty of it and I'm sure everyone else is too. No wonder the internet has spawned tons of 25 year old internet savvy millionaires (San Francisco has been taken hostage by those 25 year olds!).
I don't like you or what you post? I don't read or respond to your posts. I don't put you on some kind of ridiculous ignore list. I'm not a child. It's all kind of funny and sad at the same time. :LOL::(
It is probably the retired IT guy in me - if there is a tool, I'd like to know about it, so I can use it if I choose to do so. If not, I'll do it the way I have been.

I don't see a way to do that. But, I will keep an eye on this thread in case someone notices something that I miss. Not that I want to ignore anything, but because someone else may ask later on.

I occasionally will use the ignore feature for someone being pesky about following me and making remarks on all of my posts, but I don't like to ignore someone for long, because it makes the continuity of what people are discussing all wonky if I am missing parts people are responding to. I could care less if someone wants to scorch me, because I find that sort of stuff humorous. But, it gets annoying when someone gets a bee in their bonnet to reply to everything I post.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
It may seem like a good idea to cater every aspect of your life just around those things that you like, enjoy, or prefer. Doing so, however, creates a parochial filter that works to disconnect the individual from the greater society and the diversity of people who constitute it. It does not create purity of interest or help to make usage of time more efficient so much as it does to disconnect us from the world of ideas, people, both good and bad.

What it does do is contribute to rot. Any social organism disconnected from the diverse stream of life will always diminish of its own accord.

But it is your right to move yourself to a purgatory of your own making.

• Love
Reactions: briarbuck and BROBS

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think it’s a reasonable question. It’s an efficiency thing. Why should you be forced to wade through crap you’re uninterested in while looking for content you want? The current jargon is curating, which is really just selection and omission. People do it all the time, either manually or with the help of shortcuts baked into the interface. Spam filters for emails and phone calls are an obvious example; and as Jud says there’s no technological obstacle to forums having the same tool.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Aside from the finger wagging and moralizing here, I think the OP has a great idea.

I was just about to say something similar. This happens a lot on here. Someone will ask a question and then they have to wade through posts making snarky or unhelpful comments about his question, or defend the question.

Come on man, just ignore the post if you don't want to answer it or think it is a bad question.

Status
Not open for further replies.