If You Were Stranded On a Deserted Island With Only One Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With this crew (Forums members) the one tobacco thesis is probably the wrong way to phrase the question. There is a large group of pipe smokers who not only know which blend they'd choose but only smoke the one. A lot of over-the-counter smokers do this. My dad smoked only Granger, from age 15 until he quit cold turkey at 65. Most of us are on Forums because we graze the verdant luxury and vast variety of of blends. So it is as if you are asking, if you could not have a pipe which blends would you buy? A question that might work with this group is: "I'm a relatively new pipe smoker. Which newer blends or old favorites might you recommend to me?" Also, see sable's post above.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Like most I've got several favorites, but the last few days the sun has been shining so I've been smoking Virgina blends and I've been enjoying the heck out of a tin of Rattray's Marlin flake so today I'm going to pick Marlin flake.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
didi, you should put jesse in a time out for not playing the game.
I would choose Capstan Blue Flake as it is readily available and it tastes really good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I had only the one blend in a barrel, I might only smoke on holidays. Something burley dependable.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If it has to go in a barrel then why not Frog Morton Cellar? A barrel of that should only run about a billion dollars. In all seriousness though I'm torn between SPC Plum Pudding and Esoterica Dunbar. If you put a gun to my head I'd probably choose Plum Pudding. Although now that I think about it I'll choose Plum Pudding Reserve since it's a plug. If we've only got a barrel to deal with here, might as well make sure it goes as far as possible.
I'd probably smoke it out of my Coconut Cob with bamboo stem and conch spigot. Chamber diameter 5.5 inches baby.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
FVF - although a very hyped blend and perhaps a bit over-hyped, it'd be the one.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I seem to be able to hang with Capstan (blue) longer than I can hang with any other blend.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Love some of the answers here, including hearing how hard it is to choose. I did not appreciate when I first got into this hobby that rotation was such a big part of some pipe smokers. My uncle pretty much just smoked one thing, so this is all new to me. Many thanks for helping the noob explore some seriously good tobaccos to be even stranded with and also how to build my own personal rotations!

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Stranded on a desert island with only one blend? Hmmmmm...island...tropical delights...blue water...beaches...
There is only one blend for the job. Holiday Mixture. Accept no substitute.
Cheers,
Chili

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Sir Walter Raleigh. Not because it is my very favourite, but more in line with Sable's logic that everything loses its luster if overdone. SWR, I find has such a mild and inoffensive flavour profile that it would be my desert island choice. I could also cut out all the little Walter's from the pouch and set up something of a social life in the Tom Hanks/Wilson kind of fashion.
Isaac

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Well then, I’ll just bring my entire cellar with me. Lol. I’ll keep it buried underground so it doesn’t spoil. Ahhhh life is good on this desert island! Who needs a woman when you’ve got your favorite pipe and tobacco? And now I’ve got a new favorite desert island!

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Orlik Golden Sliced, but the answer will change week to week.
I very much agree with darthcider. This week my answer would be Black Mallory.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Sillem’s Commodore Flake. Full stop.
Runner up if available: Capstan Blue or Old Dark Fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.