If You Haven't Tried Chatham Manor, Are You Even A Piper?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I had a sample of Chatham Manor and really enjoyed it so I ordered four tubs. I pulled the trigger way too early.

I figured I was stuck with it, oddly enough until today. My uncle stopped by to shoot the shit, and being the freeloader he is, he asked if I had any blends I was looking to get rid of.

I gave him the four tubs and a tub of Edgeworth Match. He feigned an offer to pay, I told him it’s all good.

I have other blends I need to dump as well, luckily he’ll smoke almost anything. Lol.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
A lot of crazy history went down at Chatham Manor in Fredericksberg, Virginia. First as the site of a famous slave rebellion where slaves overtook, chained, and whipped their slavemaster. Then as a Union Army hospital during the Civil War where surgeons operated on thousands of wounded soldiers following a disastrous defeat at the Battle of Fredericksberg. Poet Walt Whitman once described seeing a large heap of amputated legs, arms, hands, feet, etc. under a tree in front of the house when he went there looking for his wounded brother. I'm sure there must have been plenty of positive history there as well. I wonder what exactly it was that inspired the name of the blend?

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Didn’t know it was a real place. I assume carter hall is as well? Yeah I just googled it. Apparently so. Must have fallen asleep in history class.

Reactions: wolflarsen

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A lot of crazy history went down at Chatham Manor in Fredericksberg, Virginia. First as the site of a famous slave rebellion where slaves overtook, chained, and whipped their slavemaster. Then as a Union Army hospital during the Civil War where surgeons operated on thousands of wounded soldiers following a disastrous defeat at the Battle of Fredericksberg. Poet Walt Whitman once described seeing a large heap of amputated legs, arms, hands, feet, etc. under a tree in front of the house when he went there looking for his wounded brother. I'm sure there must have been plenty of positive history there as well. I wonder what exactly it was that inspired the name of the blend?
Sutliff produces Chatham Manor for P&C, and they are based in Richmond, Va. Sutliff's blender at the time, Carl McAllister (who worked with Russ Ouellette on the Mid-Town blends), may have come up with the name himself, given his love of Virginia history. As all the names of the Mid-Town blends play off the names of the blends they copied, it seems like a reasonable chance that is what happened.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chatham Manor is one of the Hearth and Home Midtown series of matches to old standard blends, this one somewhat matching Carter Hall. My favorite is Chestnut, matching the discontinued Walnut blend. Chestnut is one of a select category of blends that comprises about six tobaccos successfully, without tasting either muddy or harsh. It's available both in plastic baggies for around $6 and tubs at a modest $30. At those prices, and available in the sample size baggie, any of the series is well worth a try.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Never tried it. Availability of pipe tobacco is pretty limited here locally in WA, ordering from out of state is illegal, and whatever’s locally available is taxed at 95% of wholesale. I have to special order anything that’s not Tinderbox potpourri or SPC tire-fire-in-your-mouth blends through a local retailer, from a fairly limited selection, and pay eye-watering prices for it.

• Sad
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Never tried it. Availability of pipe tobacco is pretty limited here locally in WA, ordering from out of state is illegal, and whatever’s locally available is taxed at 95% of wholesale. I have to special order anything that’s not Tinderbox potpourri or SPC tire-fire-in-your-mouth blends through a local retailer, from a fairly limited selection, and pay eye-watering prices for it.

You need a friend.. simple as that.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Sounds like you need to either move to a free state or start saving up for the occasional out of state tobacco run.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Sounds like you need to either move to a free state or start saving up for the occasional out of state tobacco run.
Yup. Moved up here for work 5 years ago, and there’s only really like 3 parts of the country with decent opportunities for people with my particular skill set. Of those 3, 2 are on the West Coast in nanny states, and the third is in Texas. We’re moving back to Texas eventually, but that’s not happening for at least another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.