PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I don’t see my bro William mentioned much on these forums, and in part this could be due to those in the know not wanting to let the word out on the secret, or for fear of him putting his prices up, but with the current climate in Europe potentially impacting pipe sales, I thought a brief shout out to those of you in America could be timely.

I’ve purchased about 2 dozen pipes from William, he is what we call down under, a good bastard. Always upfront and trustworthy, no fuss and no frills. I know guys who have purchased twice or thrice that from him, and I have yet to have an issue with an order, shipped either to me here in New Zealand or a friend in the states, and he uses PayPal ??

If I remember rightly, he is also a taste tester for Macbaren, so must have been born with a tongue of steal. Haha hey…maybe this is our in for finally getting 16oz bulk st Bruno!

if you haven’t heard of his site, please check it out HERE

Just to be clear, William hasn’t asked me to provide this review.

Oh, and for some final clickbait, he also has the remnants of the legendary collection of the former forum member klaus/jason from Ireland.

✌?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I second what Dave to say about William

I've bought numerous pipes from him.

He responds quickly to all emails. Very prompt with dispatch of orders.
Pics of pipes are rudimentary, but Willim will provide more pics, if asked.
He also accepts returns (you have to pay the return postage)
If unsure of the condition of very old pipes, do ask him for his assessment which are always honest.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
He has a very interesting assortment of pipes, thanks for sharing! For those prices I assume he sells the estates as received and doesnt put work in it.
I think it depends on the pipe which is purchased. I think you can ask him to polish the stems, however I’m not sure if there is a charge involved

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Interesting collection I never would have seen if you hadn’t posted this. Nothing I’m buying, but very cool to look at. Thanks for sharing! Hopefully these extra eyeballs gives him some more business ?

Reactions: Ahi Ka

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I feel obligated to provide a somewhat contrary assessment by way of my opinion, based on my significant experience with William. I've purchased approximately 30 pipes from William. His photos are quite poor so you've absolutely got to request better photos. He has sent pipes that have been over-reamed/reamed by knife, pipes with amber stems that have been poorly glued or are falling off, pipes with stems that do not match the pipe/do not fit. I would absolutely take him to task before purchasing any pipe from him because he will not. He's often backtracked and made excuses as well. His website has reviews from former customers as well, and I suggest you read them. Any irregularity and the otherwise pleasant William clams up and becomes uncooperative at the drop of a hat. Insist on using PayPal goods and services---he will accept if you insist on it.

If anyone cares to see I can send photos of some of the "not as advertised" pipes and email exchanges.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Here's an example of many. I suppose I should have asked "does the stem actually fit/belong to the set?" before purchasing it. Either William or the previous owners engaged in plenty of creative "mix and matching". However William is himself a pipe maker with all the equipment and skill to make and polish pipes. I expected more. At least an honest condition report.

IMG_20220518_073712.jpg

A few other undisclosed "gems". Not in the condition report either. Rubber cement holding the amber together at the joint. No (working) tenons to speak of.

IMG_20220518_074406.jpg
Overreamed with a knife. Ask for photos of everything. Caveat emptor.
IMG_20220518_074352.jpg

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
As was mentioned, a very interesting selection of estate pipe. Photos are horrible and site is awkward. I had one transaction him which worked out well. I asked him for more photos which he provided and he answered questions. The additional photos were of equal quality as the others but showed different angles. I am very happy with my purchase. They were as expected - meaning they needed work. The prices were reasonable I thought. Overall I knew what I was getting but it took a little work.

Here is is extra pic of the three pipes I purchased. 5D554A43-6552-48D7-BD06-32377118E97E.jpeg

My photo after receiving them.

4D5A771D-32C4-4780-A829-FE4A487BEB07.jpeg
As posted on his site:
15E1626D-7280-4AFE-8CDD-772D3512739D.jpeg