PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
No, $100 for the pipe alone. That looks pretty cool!
Obviously cob pipes are great especially when you want to try a different leaf before you make a long-term choice on it.

But if I were going briar <$100 - I'd choose a Rossi, and they have a boat load of shapes for that price. It's a Savinelli "starter" brand, and made to some of the same standards. I have a couple of Rossi's and they smoke every bit as nice as a more expensive Savinelli. I like them because they're durable and can travel with me to car shows and campgrounds. If something happens to them, I'm never out a lot of money, and don't feel bad about replacing one.

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
But if I were going briar <$100 - I'd choose a Rossi, and they have a boat load of shapes for that price. It's a Savinelli "starter" brand
My first new "real" pipe purchase was a Savinelli Bing XL for $120. Unfortunately it was knocked off my stand and broke the stem. I need to send it to someone to have the broken stem piece removed and a new stem fitted.

I have seen the Rossi's and have liked the look, but I was not aware they were made b6 Savinelli. I will definitely look closer!

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
It occurs to me that I haven't even answered my own question! I travel a bit for work, and I often find myself wondering if I will have a problem choosing one to take on my travels, once I have an actual selection to choose from! I currently on two briars, a Savinelli Bing XL (which got knocked off my stand and broken), and my Nordine, an estate pipe I picked up on Blue Room Briars.
20230626_225422.jpg
20230626_225323.jpg
The Nordine is by far my favorite (even before I broke the Savinelli). I also have a MM Country Gentleman, and a MM Hardwood. There is also another cheap pipe I got on Amazon (actually, my first pipe), but I try not to talk about that one too much!

Often I take the Cobb on my journeys, since I don't have to worry if it gets broken. Currently I am sitting in a motel in Sacramento, CA, and I brought the Nordine. So, if I had to pick one for life, I guess the Nordine is the choice! But I am looking to expand my selection.

As for a tobacco, I have not smoked more than a couple of bowls if tinned tobacco. I have stuck to fresh leaf from a local tobacconist, and a nice variety pack I got from Country Squire. My favorite so far is Bag End, but Second Breakfast is a close second. I brought Old Toby on this trip.

I won't pretend to be able to speak to the flavor profile, but I find both of those blends to be more mild and pleasing. Although, I tried Green Dragon for the first time yesterday, and even though it was significantly more stout than the others, I found it very nice. I also really like the CS Northwest Trek.

But to answer my original question... in a very long winded answer, my Nordine and Bag End!

Attachments

• 20230626_225323.jpg
    20230626_225323.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 3

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I have seen the Rossi's and have liked the look, but I was not aware they were made b6 Savinelli. I will definitely look closer!

Regarding made by Savinelli, if you visit Smoking Pipes (Smokingpipes.com | Tobacco Pipes - Pipe Tobacco - https://www.smokingpipes.com/) and look up a Savinelli 320 KS (an Author shape), you can also find a Rossi Author by searching 8320. Shapes and dimensions are equal, but the finishes are not as fancy as the Savinelli branded line.

For the record, I'm not pushing Rossi on anyone just educating on how to know the differences for interested parties.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Ok, so here is the thinker for the day... if you had to choose one pipe and one tobacco blend to smoke for the rest of your life, what would you choose and why?

Maybe this is too childish a question, but being childish once on a while keeps your mind young!
Three Nuns in a Altinay Lattice Billiard Meerschaum (specifically with an acrylic amber stem) 😉

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
My favorite so far is Bag End, but Second Breakfast is a close second. I brought Old Toby on this trip.
Looks like a great trip!

I like Bag End a lot and was pleasantly surprised by Second Breakfast. I am not a fan of Autumn Evening, and I was worried about the maple. But that tobacco is well-balanced.

My favorite of the Middle Earth series is Green Dragon. Check it out if you haven't.