PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
Carter Hall.
Collect variety of cut as much as blend.

Fighting PAD is hopeless, but instead of searching endlessly for something really specific you might save yourself a few thousand dollars just getting kits and carving bowl shapes to whatever tickles your fancy: PKE-B - BriarWorks Pipe Kit - Ebauchon w/ Bent Stem - http://briarworksusa.com/pke-b-briarworks-pipe-kit-ebauchon-w-bent-stem/
The stem and drilling is 99% of what I appreciate about Briarworks and they've done all the important work here, were I to re-start my collection I'd probably have a dozen of these.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I wish I didn’t listen to the “three step” method of packing tobacco: where you push the tobacco in with the strength of a baby, then the strength of a woman, and then finally the strength of a man. This is terrible advice to give to a newbie, and a terrible way to pack in general because it restricts airflow. The Frank Method is much better.

I also wish I knew how important it was to dry tobacco. This, combined with better packing, would have made my early pipe smoking experience much better.

Oh, and get yourself a pre-transition Barling. #barlingbros #barlinggang

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Honestly can't remember a time when I didn't thoughtlessly pack a pipe and smoke it to the bottom. Thirty years of collecting has left me with a cellar full of tobacco that I enjoy. No regrets or wishing things were different.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Well for me I suppose it'd be to avoid all aromatics. The first puff is interesting and thereafter always progressively worse, much worse. They can damage a pipe, insofar as getting the stank out takes serious time and effort..

And, it is not really necessary to buy tobacco in tins. Yeah they are cute, but...... There are some very very good blends available in bulk that are cheaper (e.g. Peretti or Watch City). And free samples available.

Also it is beneficial to establish a relationship with a vendor. Once you have dealt with someone 2 or 3 times you can chat them up and get some valuable information, from an experienced smoker. I suppose this applies only to the smaller of the vendors......examples : Pulver's Prior Briar, Smoker's Haven, Briar Blues, and many others I'm sure.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
About a year ago P&C ran a special, 5 different pouches of Captain Black for $10 plus free shipping. I wish I new then what I know now...I don't like any CB. Now I have 5 jars of CB I'm not going to smoke.

Who wants them? Any takers?
I could use 10$ as much as the next guy but i think i would have turned them down.

• Haha
Reactions: musicman
Status
Not open for further replies.