PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
So in just about any hobby/sport/past-time, there is that thing you learn three, five, ten years in, and the moment you do, your immediate reaction is "Man oh man, why couldn't I have known about this when I started!?" Pipe smoking is no different (I had been smoking for almost a decade before I clued in to how a tamper actually gets used), and so I want to hear yours. For me, I'm specifically wondering what tobacco blends you wish you had come across much earlier, but any instance works.

Ooooo, another member that's a rabbit. Awesome... if you are really a rabbit.

Anyways, I don't wish I knew anything different. All the mistakes I have made have given me the tongue of a cat, to help me tolerate blends now that would bite a newbie... and my wife really likes it. puffy

That being said... if I could go back and tell the younger me anything, it would be that the prettiest cheerleaders all have inferiority complexes and are pretty easy... puffy YMMV

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I would have spent less time trying to appreciate perique, would have spent all my spare money buying bracken flake before it got canceled and would have spent more money on mid to early 20th century estate pipes, rather than waste my dough on expensive cumbersome italians, that i dont smoke.

Also i would have smoked slower at the beginning so i didnt burn my tongue so much.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I wish I had quit cigs and gotten serious about pipe-smoking a lot sooner. I would have been better off in every way. Then again, if I hadn't been paying 20 bucks a day for cigs by the end, I would have had a tougher time justifying the sums I spend on PAD and TAD to myself... So, yeah, as usual, no mistakes, and no regrets to report here.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
About a year ago P&C ran a special, 5 different pouches of Captain Black for $10 plus free shipping. I wish I new then what I know now...I don't like any CB. Now I have 5 jars of CB I'm not going to smoke.

Who wants them? Any takers?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I think at some point they were both owned by a Brown & Williamson Tobacco but not sure if they contained the same tobaccos. Quite possible they did.
This was posted by JimInks on TR concerning SWR and has the taste changed:

Edit: Recently, I had the opportunity to smoke SWR made in the 1940s, '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s as well as several pouches in the 2000s. I was struck by the fact that only in the 1940s version was there a difference in taste. Even then, the difference was only that the '40s sample was just a tad deeper in flavor. I find it amazing how consistent the taste is from World War Two until now.

-JimInks

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I wish I bought a few dozen tins of escudo, elizabethan, scottish cake, marlin flake, hal o the wynd, and brown clunee 10 years ago...

(I'm intentionally avoiding the easiest answer of "I wish I hoarded all stonehaven and penzance and christmas cheer etc etc)

Lesson to the new: Buy VaPer's for **aging**! Just do it! Even if you don't like them now, throw them in a closet and forget. You're welcome.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
About a year ago P&C ran a special, 5 different pouches of Captain Black for $10 plus free shipping. I wish I new then what I know now...I don't like any CB. Now I have 5 jars of CB I'm not going to smoke.

Who wants them? Any takers?
I wish I had seen this offer. I like the CBs. (If you’re serious, I’ll trade you for them.)

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Pipe smoking to me is a lot like guitar playing in that back in the dark old days before the internet, we learned stuff the hard way through practice, trial and error. Now days, one can obtain a ton of great information just by getting on the internet. If I could tell my young self one thing, it would be to go by a tub of Carter Hall and leave the Lane 1Q alone. Unfortunately, every pipe shop I went to seemed to try and sell me Lane 1Q. Go figure?

Status
Not open for further replies.