PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I didn't notice James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Randolph Scott or Joel McCrea on this list yet.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
I'm not buying into Hollywood actors as being icons of manliness! :P
They didn't come more manly than good ole Gen George Washington or Gen Thomas Jackson. :wink:
One man James Steward. Good ole Jimmy was drafted into the military during WWII and failed for being underweight, he then bulked up and enlisted, the man flew from WWII to Vietnam.

~Ron

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
James Stewart is a good choice. If an actor actually saw combat on the front line, then I do find them acceptable as an icon of manliness. Earnest Borgnine comes to mind.
"During his naval service Borgnine rose in rank from seaman to gunner's mate first class. Upon his discharge in 1945, he was allowed to wear the American Campaign Medal, the Good Conduct Medal, the American Defense Service Medal with Fleet Clasp, and the World War II Victory Medal."

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Gen George Paton,

Gen Douglas McArthur,

American history, even world history is full of real manly men.

sorry but hollyweird freaktards will never measure up to any of the rough riders, of war vets, or mr.Crispus Adix that's the first man to stand up to the English army here in America. He was a black business owner, and he was killed in the sparking of the American revolution.

Gen George Washington crossing the Potomac river in John boats with ice flowing on Christmas eve night to face the Hessians on the other side.

Martin Luther who nailed grievances to the front door of the almighty church knowing it was his death warrant.

His name sake who came later, Martin Luther King Jr. Who stood up for civil rights in the Jim crow south and did so knowing he would be killed eventually.

real men who stood with strength and courage through out history.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I used to have a poster of Lee Marvin as his character in "The Wild One" on the wall in my office. A placard below read "Lee Marvin - Patron Saint of Office nnnn". He was waaaaaayy cooler than Brando. :worship:

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
1aca7d26-4272-4209-abc9-d87b420138c8.jpg

tom-selleck.jpg

Difficult-Clients-The-Clint-Eastwood-Guide-to-Managing-Them.jpg

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Lee Marvin is a great pick. Served as a sniper in WW2 and was shoot several times in the butt at Iwo Jima.
I'll add Ted Williams.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
All good picks, but manliness is not just sticking your chest out during combat, Men who take care of aging parents, and kids with disabilities, Manliness can take many forms, Being a good man and doing the right thing in a world of slings and arrows is my definition of Manilness. Oh by the way McArthur boggled out and left Wainright to show what Manilness is all about.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Bradley is correct. A real man is tough and gentle, and does right even when it hurts to do so.

One who does right and stands for what's right even when its a friend who is wrong.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I'm with Bradley on this one too. I routinely operated for 72 hours straight in the Nav, Gulf 1, Somalia. I've owned my own Krav Maga school ant trained with many of the great MMA fighters and being manly to me is taking care of my wife and son, and being the best role model to my son as possible. I do not want him to feel the need to be able to fight like I felt.
That said, my icons are defined by my experiences: Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson, John Paul Jones, Admiral Nimitz,, and Admiral Robert Copeland (turned his destroyer into a vastly superior Japanese surface fleet, ensuring its doom, but by doing so emboldened the other destroyers in Taffy 3 to follow suit and caused the Japanese to withdraw thus saving the Leyte Gulf landing).
Better men than I.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
This is obviosuly an American discussion. I find it interesting to see the definitions of manliness being proffered; in Europe one of the most popular actors is Vincent Cassell, who often plays a tough guy, but he is almost always a tough guy with something extra, usually very articulate, stylish and prone to philosophy, with a sense of the un-necessariness of his situation. Ken Watanabe is a great Japanese tough guy, almost autistic but with a strong moral sense in an often terrible world. But I'm sure we all agree that Manliness is almost by definition a term which deliberately limits itself. For me, at least when thinking of American icons, Robert Redford is everything a man should be, the embodiment of a better time; never a coward, always hardworking, measured, courteous and civilised but with an independence and dignity few possess.

Thinking of today's ideals of masculinity, I can understand how young men beginning to make their way in the world can be confused or even perverted, surrounded by a new breed of "musician" whose only contribution to society seems to be to brag incessantly about what they've taken from it. Turn on MTV any day of the week and one can be forgiven for wanting to give up on anyone under 25 year old. Right now we have so few examples of integrity, from any sphere of life, be it business, politics, sport or "culture", that it is no wonder the membership is forced to look back to their father's generation for examples of how to live.

So I would say that, right now, someone like Moby would be a decent example of manliness; intelligent, articulate, creative and productive, with a sense of his responsibilities.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Lee Marvin/Clint Eastwood- Paint your Wagon.. It's a must see.

For me would be "The King of Hollywood" Clark Gable!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Paint Your Wagon" is absolutely one of the best ways to spend an evening with the family. Two of the toughest screen personalities in a musical. Singing? Marvin and Eastwood? "I was born under a wondering star . . . " and Marvin pulled it off!
Icons? I'd love to spend an evening with James Garner. His politics aside, Korea service, Rockford Files and, I think one of the best movies ever made "The Americanization of Emily" would make for interesting conversation. Ah, who am I kidding, I'd love to engage him in a bit political repartee also.
James Caan would be another. "Gardens of Stone" pretty much summed up what was happening in America during the war in Nam. If you are too young to remember and want a really unbiased overview of the mixed emotions of the Country, rent it! Then settle in, no distractions, and watch it closely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, think outside the box with me for a minute. It could be Susan B. Anthony who stood down nearly all the men

of the U.S. and most of the women, when she went to register to vote, was hauled into court, found guilty, and fined $100 for

voting (U.S. versus Susan B. Anthony) and announced she would never pay the fine, and never did. That's some

two fisted macho crap that went down there.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
+1 MSO. Demonstrated intestinal fortitude in the face of adversity. That gets my vote every time.

Feb 26, 2014
My personal favorites beeing; Clint Eastwood and the Duke....but wanted to add a few new names to the list;
William Holden

Sven-Ole Thorsen

Kirk Dougals

Status
Not open for further replies.