PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I toss my hat in for Tom Selleck and George C. Scott. Yul Brynner also. Let's not forget Jimmy Stewart. Gregory Peck needs a mention.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
Eddie Albert, earned a silver star or navy cross, (don't remember what one anymore) @ tarawa pulling wounded marines off the beach...

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
Didnt John Wayne play Red Adair in a movie?
Hellfighters, he played a character based on Adair. If I remember correctly, Red Adair was technical advisor for the movie. Also starred Jim Hutton.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Professional figure skater, Johnny Weir

JW32A2.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always liked the persona of James Arness as Marshal Matt Dillion in the long-running TV series. It wasn't

the most sophisticated script, and you never doubted Marshal Matt would have the upper hand, but given

that, Arness did a convincing job. Unlike many actors, he was an actual combat veteran and had been

wounded at Anzio early in World War II while the U.S. military was on a learning curve with combat landings.

My uncle was in the Pacific landing at Tarawa which was a particularly miserable "dress rehearsal" for

amphibious landings. He figured out you didn't have to take each load of fuel drums to the beach and line

them in in neat little rows, but could just ride them in on the tide. It saved a lot of lives and he earned

the Bronze Star (landing craft officer was his role).

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I'm not buying into Hollywood actors as being icons of manliness! :P
They didn't come more manly than good ole Gen George Washington or Gen Thomas Jackson. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.