Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Ordered tewo boxes of Skiff,and some pipe cleaners. , used a 10% off code which covered the sales tax with a few pennies left over, grand total of $67.90. And I paid for that with funds on a $100 gift card that cost me $77 when they had a 23% site wide discount a few months back. Tobacco came today by the combo UPS/USPS service they use. Box was mercifully intact.

I had lots of tobacco to smoke while waiting. I didn’t even bother with tracking because I am privy to a state f****ing secret that this method of shipping is worse than pony express. I mean, who would have ever known? Certainly readers of this forum have been kept in the dark.

And I defy anyone to point me to a post where customer service email has worked for them. I have had good luck with customer service over the phone, but in one case it took three calls to resolve one problem. But again, I guess this is news to readers here. But,fortunately, I have always had a few shreds of tobacco to smoke while on hold.

Aesop’s fable about the Frog and the Scorpion applies. To get two boxes of a blend I like below wholesale by stacking the code and the discounted gift card was worth taking a chance to me. Too bad that these issues have been kept so secret. I really sympathize. It isn’t as if you have the choice to pay extra and get a different shipping method. Oh, wait....

Oh, by the way, I got a package today from Amazon using the same service. Ordered 1/2. But it came from 200 miles away as opposed to 650. The contents were fine, but the padded envelope they came in looked like hell.
I realize it will take longer but in this case I fear the package is lost so at this point what do I do?

I used the free shipping because like you, I too have plenty of other tobacco to smoke and figured an extra day or so wouldn’t matter. This is well over a day or so longer.

You are saying I just should not have ordered from them at all or I should have paid extra for shipping via the post office. I disagree. I figured I would give them a chance as I haven’t really had bad issues with them in the past. I’ve also had emails answered in the past. Maybe things have become worse, however I don’t always believe 100% of Internet bitching about businesses and believe you mainly hear the bad.

I just wanted to put this thread out there to show another experience. And mainly to question why businesses continue to use a delivery service that obviously pisses off most customers.

Got Low T?

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I'll break from the crowd here and say I've had nothing but good experiences with P&C. That said I have an order in route and used the free shipping option (which is usually surepost no matter who the vendor is). So I'm a little nervous. I had one specific incident where they really went above and beyond for me. Hopefully all goes well on this order. I feel sorry for all of you that have had problems. Maybe I have just been lucky so far...

Oct 7, 2016
I realize it will take longer but in this case I fear the package is lost so at this point what do I do?

I used the free shipping because like you, I too have plenty of other tobacco to smoke and figured an extra day or so wouldn’t matter. This is well over a day or so longer.

You are saying I just should not have ordered from them at all or I should have paid extra for shipping via the post office. I disagree. I figured I would give them a chance as I haven’t really had bad issues with them in the past. I’ve also had emails answered in the past. Maybe things have become worse, however I don’t always believe 100% of Internet bitching about businesses and believe you mainly hear the bad.

I just wanted to put this thread out there to show another experience. And mainly to question why businesses continue to use a delivery service that obviously pisses off most customers.

Got Low T?
No, everything checked out on my blood work a few months ago. What issues do you have that would account for 13 posts for a little over $100 of pipe tobacco?

And if it wasn’t clear, I ordered the same day you did and just got mine today. So, to quote Aaron Rodgers, whose T level we might know more about in a few days, R-E-L-A-X.

• Love
Reactions: Spa32

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
It shows you when you checkout how long each option will take. Generally I've noticed that the UPS option is 10-12 days from the date its ordered. When following the UPS tracking I've noticed it is indeed rather slow with the package sometimes sitting in the same place for a few days before its updated again. The last time I had an issue with an order (something was missing in the half open box that arrived) I called customer service and it only took about 5 minutes to get the situation resolved with the replacement item being sent out that day.

Reactions: diamondback

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No, everything checked out on my blood work a few months ago. What issues do you have that would account for 13 posts for a little over $100 of pipe tobacco?

And if it wasn’t clear, I ordered the same day you did and just got mine today. So, to quote Aaron Rodgers, whose T level we might know more about in a few days, R-E-L-A-X.
Maybe it’s hard to read inflection through text, but I have never been anything but relaxed. You came in here and basically said I shouldn’t have ordered from them (even though you just ordered) and that I should have paid more for shipping (unlike you) and that I should relax about it (even though you have seemed more upset than anyone).

This thread is more a general venting about vendors using this stupid UPS to USPS shenanigans. Do you work for UPS Mail Innovations?

I also received free shipping from Tobaccopipes. This package was sent USPS Priority.

Oct 7, 2016
Maybe it’s hard to read inflection through text, but I have never been anything but relaxed. You came in here and basically said I shouldn’t have ordered from them (even though you just ordered) and that I should have paid more for shipping (unlike you) and that I should relax about it (even though you have seemed more upset than anyone).

This thread is more a general venting about vendors using this stupid UPS to USPS shenanigans. Do you work for UPS Mail Innovations?

I also received free shipping from Tobaccopipes. This package was sent USPS Priority.
I though it was clear, this topic is past being a dead horse on this forum. I guess my method of expression was over your head, sorry.
Let me try to be clearer:

(1) I know the free shipping used by P&C sucks, and that others that offer free shipping use better services.

(2) I know their boxes are disasters waiting to happen.

(3) No one I know has ever gotten any satisfaction from their email customer service, and while their phone support has always yielded a good result for me, it has sometimes been like pulling teeth.

(4) Their are stories, credible ones, of people who have had even worse issues with them, like credit card double billing that they won’t reverse.

(5) every single one of these issues has been aired ad infinitum ad nauseum on this forum (sorry for the Latin)

(6) I only give them my business when I can get stuff a lot cheaper than anywhere else, which actually turns out to be frequently, and then I hold my breath.

Aesop. Frog .Scorpion. Ordering from them is a crap shoot for everybody, including me. No, it shouldn’t be that way. It is. Not news.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
OLna6yN.gif

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
I've always had good customer service via email with P&C. Still lucky I guess.

I will give an example. I was caught up in one their debacles involving in stock Esoterica that quickly evaporated. Many others here probably were caught as well. Orders were processed as in stock, then backordered, then canceled. All with charges pending. I emailed and got a quick apology and explanation that were working through the process to reverse the charges which they did in a couple of days. I figured that was the end of it and I wasn't out anything for my trouble. I figured online Esoterica was too good to be true anyway.

Out of the blue I get a call from an unknown number months later. I answer to a helpful gal from P&C. She opens with, "What would make this fathers day weekend better?". She said they apologize for not being able to fill my prior order and they have a few of the Esoterica blends I tried to order in stock, in 8oz bags, and would I still be interested in buying some. Um yes... I told her which i would like and she said no problem. As an added bonus she added I could buy some Balkan Sobranie as well if I wanted to. I did. All arrived a couple days later.

To say I was impressed is an understatement. From reading on the forum they obviously have had some ongoing issues but there are at least some at P&C taking it seriously.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

Except there are options that provide better service. So, even as has been acknowledged, it ain't the end of the world, why put up with unnecessary headaches?

Oct 7, 2016
Except there are options that provide better service. So, even as has been acknowledged, it ain't the end of the world, why put up with unnecessary headaches?
I continue to do business with them because I refuse to get bent out of shape over pipe tobacco, and when they are the cheapest source available, which they often are, why not? But even paying for better shipping wouldn’t solve all the issues, I.e., the ridiculous boxes that will come open at the least provocation, the often careless packaging, and the useless email customer support. Nothing new, though.

Regarding P&C for me:

1. They suck

2. Free shipping = 100% fail! Broken items, lost items, super late shipments. they don't even notify me they shipped the items for 2-3 days or longer..

3. USPS Priority for $10.95 = 100% SUCCESS. Still poorly packed by the orangutans in shipping but always shipped same day as ordered and arrival all the way to California withing 2-3 days.

They suck hard but I DO buy from them rarely now if their sale is just too good to pass up.

I ALWAYS pay for USPS Priority shipping when buying from them though which eats into any savings from the sales though.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I continue to do business with them because I refuse to get bent out of shape over pipe tobacco, and when they are the cheapest source available, which they often are, why not? But even paying for better shipping wouldn’t solve all the issues, I.e., the ridiculous boxes that will come open at the least provocation, the often careless packaging, and the useless email customer support. Nothing new, though.

I too light my bulk cigars with $100 bills.

?

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’ve said this before in a recent P&C thread (yes, I’m repeating it here... without permission - lol), but it bears repeating that I’ve been lucky in that I’ve never had a problem with P&C.

That said, until my money tree starts sprouting FRNs I’ll be hedging my bets with safer sources.

Reactions: Spa32

das3353

Lifer
Sep 7, 2019
UPS still has it. It left Kansas City on 1/8 and supposed to get sent to USPS 1/10. Here's the tracking:

Tracking | UPS - United States - http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/track?HTMLVersion=5.0&loc=en_US&Requester=UPS Home&WBPM_lid=homepage/ct1.html_pnl_trk&trackNums=92612902338263553000250075

I can't stand UPS Mail Innovations/Surepost. Amazon started using that for some of their prime deliveries, and I had a bunch of orders sent back by USPS since I used my physical address for the shipping instead of my PO box. If I included my PO box anywhere in my shipping address, Amazon took away the 2 day shipping option. I ended up having to fool their system by using zeroes instead of o's and periods instead of spaces. Straight USPS delivery, either Priority or First Class, has always been excellent for me.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
As I tell my children... do not be committed or obliged to a company or bank, because they are NEVER committed or obliged to you. It doesn't matter whether you do all of your business with them or not... when it is in their interest, they will dump you like a newborn turd. I had to actually threaten my oldest daughter when she was going to take higher interest rate on a house to keep it in her bank. The days of old, where you have one guy at the bank that knows you, comes to your kid's wedding and such, and will work in your interest are LONG gone.

Unfortunately, this is so true but it’s also a chicken and egg thing, who dropped who first?

Did the local store/bank/supplier stop the personal touch first and treat everyone as a numbered account while shaving margins left & right or did the customer jump ship first to save a quid or two when they saw a deal elsewhere forcing the original supplier to start shaving margins and then wonder why the clerk stopped smiling at them when they returned one day?

I'm inclined to think it was the 'perfect storm' & both scenarios happened together

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.