PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
anyone try requesting they use a different shipping method? I've found with other companies they're typical game to do so or at the least suddenly very willing to explain the reasons and logic behind how they ship. Though the problem can be that they'll not be able to tell you the cost until after the order is shipped. I think the combo shipping shit is about loopholes frankly. UPS will ship any tobacco that is legal but requires a signature (though only seem to do it with snus they don't on pipe orders for me (?). USPS has their own rules and technically pipe tobacco is a grey area they're typically treated like cigars (as in fine), I imagine that it ends up being down to how your local post office is run. I don't know just throwing out wild guesses. Though it really might be a good idea to request they use a different shipping method. Cause that seems to be their biggest problem, also the more you request such things and are happy with them the more likely they are to drop using a method that leaves none of the carriers holding the bag so to speak.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Another thread complaining about P&C? Say it isn't so. They suck and seem to be getting worse. If their shipping was half as consistent as their email spam advertising, they'd be okay.
and seriously it seems like the same people. Which tells me their shipping sucks and that whole transfer from one to the other is where the problem is.

Reactions: diamondback

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
anyone try requesting they use a different shipping method? I've found with other companies they're typical game to do so or at the least suddenly very willing to explain the reasons and logic behind how they ship. Though the problem can be that they'll not be able to tell you the cost until after the order is shipped. I think the combo shipping shit is about loopholes frankly. UPS will ship any tobacco that is legal but requires a signature (though only seem to do it with snus they don't on pipe orders for me (?). USPS has their own rules and technically pipe tobacco is a grey area they're typically treated like cigars (as in fine), I imagine that it ends up being down to how your local post office is run. I don't know just throwing out wild guesses. Though it really might be a good idea to request they use a different shipping method. Cause that seems to be their biggest problem, also the more you request such things and are happy with them the more likely they are to drop using a method that leaves none of the carriers holding the bag so to speak.
the different shipping methods cost money.. I was hoping to take advantage of the free shipping with my decent sized order. I should have been skeptical that it cost money for USPS but not for the free shipping.

Reactions: diamondback

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
the different shipping methods cost money.. I was hoping to take advantage of the free shipping with my decent sized order. I should have been skeptical that it cost money for USPS but not for the free shipping.
I thought we had this conversation about free shipping already! Sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it makes P&C sense!

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Given a choice, just say no to P&C. Given a choice, just say no to UPS.

There's enough excitement, confusion, anxiety, and fear in life without giving other people money to bring more angst into your life.

Prompt shipping and accurate tracking give me peace of mind. I'm willing to pay for that!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think various couriers, like UPS, are trying to cut costs by using the USPS for the last leg, since USPS already goes door to door, or post box to post box. My recent pipe arrived via this route. The original estimate was for it to get here by Wednesday. When the tracking finally clicked it after a few days, the ETA was Thursday. And once it hit the actual postal hub, it got here Tuesday, a day earlier than the first estimate. So for me, it worked okay. I had a few restless days, when it didn't show up on tracking, but it had a happy ending -- the right pipe, well-packed, a day early. I hope PC can make this routine.

Reactions: saintpeter

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
70% of our UPS packages all come by USPS, which really sucks for us, because we have no physical mail delivery from USPS (and its a 10-mile trip to town). I get the notice it's in my post office, and they manage to take 2-3 days to find it and give me a notice.

I must be in the minority, because I've never had a problem with P&C, ordering or delivery. I don't use them much anymore, because they never have what I am looking for. They don't take actual picture of their pipes, and the ones I have purchased seemed to be the ugliest of the lot. I'll pay more from SP on pipes, because at least I know what I'm getting.

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
70% of our UPS packages all come by USPS, which really sucks for us, because we have no physical mail delivery from USPS (and its a 10-mile trip to town). I get the notice it's in my post office, and they manage to take 2-3 days to find it and give me a notice.

I must be in the minority, because I've never had a problem with P&C, ordering or delivery. I don't use them much anymore, because they never have what I am looking for. They don't take actual picture of their pipes, and the ones I have purchased seemed to be the ugliest of the lot. I'll pay more from SP on pipes, because at least I know what I'm getting.
It likely sucks for them too.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
It likely sucks for them too.
I hear you. I think our people intentionally set them aside for a few days to punish UPS. They always cuss UPS and amazon. That is not our fault, though. They still have a job to do. The postmaster wanted a cushy government job, and USPS it making life difficult for them. An regular amazon order takes, on average, 7 days to get to me because of this.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Can't stand that super saver combo shipping or whatever that uses UPS/USPS. UPS ground seems just as bad. Orders always take at least a week to get to me in California even if everything goes smoothly. USPS Priority mail takes 2 days. USPS First Class takes 2 or sometimes 3 at most. I have a hard time believing the combo option or UPS ground could be that much cheaper. I see people complain about USPS sometime, but my experiences have been so much better with them than the private options it's not even close.

I appreciate the free shipping but if I find myself paying an extra 11 bucks to avoid it, it loses some of the luster. And I'm with you on TP. They use first class as their free option and it rules. Often they have better prices on a lot of stuff anyway

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
I am a true fan of the U.S. Postal Service. I think they do a great job for unbelievably reasonable prices. I have always been helped at the post office in a courteous, knowledgable way. They have made many small changes to expedite the process of getting parcels into their system. Their on-line "post office" works great and even comes with discounts when accessing it through eBay. It really annoys me when people put the USPS down. They are nice people doing conscientious work for my benefit. Leave 'em alone.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I am a true fan of the U.S. Postal Service. I think they do a great job for unbelievably reasonable prices. I have always been helped at the post office in a courteous, knowledgable way. They have made many small changes to expedite the process of getting parcels into their system. Their on-line "post office" works great and even comes with discounts when accessing it through eBay. It really annoys me when people put the USPS down. They are nice people doing conscientious work for my benefit. Leave 'em alone.
I agree 100%. I think it was an old Seinfeld bit that sums it up: for less than a dollar they come to your house and take a letter wherever you want. It’s a bargain if there ever was one.

Oct 7, 2016
Ordered tewo boxes of Skiff,and some pipe cleaners. , used a 10% off code which covered the sales tax with a few pennies left over, grand total of $67.90. And I paid for that with funds on a $100 gift card that cost me $77 when they had a 23% site wide discount a few months back. Tobacco came today by the combo UPS/USPS service they use. Box was mercifully intact.

I had lots of tobacco to smoke while waiting. I didn’t even bother with tracking because I am privy to a state f****ing secret that this method of shipping is worse than pony express. I mean, who would have ever known? Certainly readers of this forum have been kept in the dark.

And I defy anyone to point me to a post where customer service email has worked for them. I have had good luck with customer service over the phone, but in one case it took three calls to resolve one problem. But again, I guess this is news to readers here. But,fortunately, I have always had a few shreds of tobacco to smoke while on hold.

Aesop’s fable about the Frog and the Scorpion applies. To get two boxes of a blend I like below wholesale by stacking the code and the discounted gift card was worth taking a chance to me. Too bad that these issues have been kept so secret. I really sympathize. It isn’t as if you have the choice to pay extra and get a different shipping method. Oh, wait....

Oh, by the way, I got a package today from Amazon using the same service. Ordered 1/2. But it came from 200 miles away as opposed to 650. The contents were fine, but the padded envelope they came in looked like hell.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
That's crap, I hope they come through. I have purchased from site sponsors slot recently and all the communication and products have been great. Lepipe, mkelaw, pipestud, SP, blue room briars, Danish Pipe shop..just to name a few... excellent.. just a real pleasure!

Status
Not open for further replies.