PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm like you: better that I don't go back. When I get in a rage, I won't do anything, but I certainly will say anything. Then in addition to the shame of acting out, the rage stays with me for several more days. Much better than I stay away.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
It’s not worth it. I guess this was just a public service announcement. I have a decent cellar and will be ok.
Can I just ask humbly, at that specific moment, because hindsight is 20/20, what exactly was going through your mind to decline your wife's advice to go back and return it? did you feel it was going to get ackward and they were going to pull that "we never sell opened tins...you must've opened it" line?
Or was is more visceral like: they screwed me and If I go in there it's going to escalate fast?
or was it neither and something like ... it's just not worth my time?
I've been in your shoes many times with different reasoning - sometimes it's not even apparent to me why I chose certain paths

You said you were chatting him up - did he seem like a disgusting salesman in afterthought? something must've left a bad taste that you didn't want to re-enter that shop

Reactions: Reggie

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I know I read a actuarial study, but can’t remember the exact numbers, but it was something akin to 500% impact on business differential between a written correspondence (either good or bad) and a simple call, or email.
That'd make sense IF the physical letter actually gets circulated and doesn't get chucked instantly. Call is worthless unless it reaches the ear of relevant people, I'd consider email to be quite effective, there's a bread crumb trail in it, a sent email is proof even if the recipient deletes it.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
That'd make sense IF the physical letter actually gets circulated and doesn't get chucked instantly. Call is worthless unless it reaches the ear of relevant people, I'd consider email to be quite effective, there's a bread crumb trail in it, a sent email is proof even if the recipient deletes it.
Actuaries are a-holes - I should know - My Brother is one :ROFLMAO: :col: he's okay as a dude just an idiot

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
Can I just ask humbly, at that specific moment, because hindsight is 20/20, what exactly was going through your mind to decline your wife's advice to go back and return it? did you feel it was going to get ackward and they were going to pull that "we never sell opened tins...you must've opened it" line?
Or was is more visceral like: they screwed me and If I go in there it's going to escalate fast?
or was it neither and something like ... it's just not worth my time?
I've been in your shoes many times with different reasoning - sometimes it's not even apparent to me why I chose certain paths

You said you were chatting him up - did he seem like a disgusting salesman in afterthought? something must've left a bad taste that you didn't want to re-enter that shop
He chatted me up as I was browsing. I was with a group of 5 that accomadated my request to stop by the store on the way to a sunset hike. I really didn’t want to drag them into it. I just decided to let the Karma gods settle it out. I do feel that he knew they were open and could have informed me so I could make the decision to purchase or not. And lastly, without going into my own personal flaws, I tend to go from 0 to 90 in 0.3 seconds. This is just a hobby to me and was not worth it. Hope that explains my reasoning.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
I'm like you: better that I don't go back. When I get in a rage, I won't do anything, but I certainly will say anything. Then in addition to the shame of acting out, the rage stays with me for several more days. Much better than I stay away.
Thank you Sir. Great minds…..

Status
Not open for further replies.