PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
So while vacationing in a resort town in Wyoming last week, I decided to stop by the local B&M because their internet add stated that they sold Castello Pipes.
I entered the store to a warm greeting from the proprietor and he engaged me with the normal conversation for tourist. I quickly realized that this was predominately a cigar store but noticed a few tins on a shelf and a few house blends. I continued my conversation with the gentleman and felt obliged to purchase a tin of Sixpence and a tin of Haddos Delight. Both had about 2 years age according to a dated sticker on the bottom. I thought “Wow! Great deal!” I returned to the vehicle and left for the mountains for a hike. Upon removing the plastic lids, both tins had been opened and the Haddo’s had clearly been smoked from. My wife encouraged me to return for a refund but I have the Irish temper and a week later am still mad. Moral: I guess we have to check our tins well now before leaving. There are serious consequences where I am from for this type of shenanigan. Oh, not the first Castello pipe in the shop.

Aug 1, 2012
So while vacationing in a resort town in Wyoming last week, I decided to stop by the local B&M because their internet add stated that they sold Castello Pipes.
I entered the store to a warm greeting from the proprietor and he engaged me with the normal conversation for tourist. I quickly realized that this was predominately a cigar store but noticed a few tins on a shelf and a few house blends. I continued my conversation with the gentleman and felt obliged to purchase a tin of Sixpence and a tin of Haddos Delight. Both had about 2 years age according to a dated sticker on the bottom. I thought “Wow! Great deal!” I returned to the vehicle and left for the mountains for a hike. Upon removing the plastic lids, both tins had been opened and the Haddo’s had clearly been smoked from. My wife encouraged me to return for a refund but I have the Irish temper and a week later am still mad. Moral: I guess we have to check our tins well now before leaving. There are serious consequences where I am from for this type of shenanigan. Oh, not the first Castello pipe in the shop.
As I still have contacts in the 2 possible places it could have been, feel free to message me the town and store and I'll see if I can find anything out.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I once went to buy some pipe tobacco in the local cigar store and the guy just popped a few tins willy nilly to allow me to have a smell. He then put them back on the shelf with all the other tins. I immediately made a mental note to check the tins if I even went back there to buy pipe tobacco.I

It mainly being a cigar shop I think the shopkeeper didn't have a clue about pipe tobacco.

Aug 1, 2012
I'm wondering if it has a smoking lounge, and if some unsavory pipe smokers popped tins and took samples. Could have just been people taking samples home. But I guess I'm giving the store the benefit of the doubt.
One of the stores I can think of, I would give no quarter as it is run by a person with the morals of someone you usually find online...that is none. The other one, the owner is as honest as the day is long but infirm enough he may not have noticed someone messing with his stock.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm wondering if it has a smoking lounge, and if some unsavory pipe smokers popped tins and took samples. Could have just been people taking samples home. But I guess I'm giving the store the benefit of the doubt.
Then again, it coould have been some savory pipe smokers and everyone's eyes were watering too much to notice.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
As my wife always tells me, you should write a sternly worded letter. ?
That more apt than most people realize. A written letter trumps a phone call, email, chain letter. Especially in service industry where the thinking is, if you took the time to write a letter and send it off, you are much more likely to also give negative reviews to friends/family/acquaintances etc, much less likely to revisit said business, a much more likely to REMEMBER the bad experience.
I know I read a actuarial study, but can’t remember the exact numbers, but it was something akin to 500% impact on business differential between a written correspondence (either good or bad) and a simple call, or email.

Reactions: Reggie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The take-home lesson seems to be: Examine any purchase thoroughly and at length before closing the deal, and don't be distracted by conversation. Had you found the tins opened while you were still talking, before the purchase, that would have been an interesting conversation. You wouldn't have had to be angry, just curious. Well, well, what's this? You would have no longer "owed" the proprietor a purchase. I've bought a few pipe items before I had done due diligence, and though no harm was done, this is a new reminder.

Reactions: Reggie

Reggie

Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
The take-home lesson seems to be: Examine any purchase thoroughly and at length before closing the deal, and don't be distracted by conversation. Had you found the tins opened while you were still talking, before the purchase, that would have been an interesting conversation. You wouldn't have had to be angry, just curious. Well, well, what's this? You would have no longer "owed" the proprietor a purchase. I've bought a few pipe items before I had done due diligence, and though no harm was done, this is a new reminder.
Yes. I have been kicking myself since. I’ll cool down. It’s just that I really made the purchase because he was nice and gave me lots of 1 on 1 attention. Shame on me’

Reactions: anotherbob

Reggie

Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
That more apt than most people realize. A written letter trumps a phone call, email, chain letter. Especially in service industry where the thinking is, if you took the time to write a letter and send it off, you are much more likely to also give negative reviews to friends/family/acquaintances etc, much less likely to revisit said business, a much more likely to REMEMBER the bad experience.
I know I read a actuarial study, but can’t remember the exact numbers, but it was something akin to 500% impact on business differential between a written correspondence (either good or bad) and a simple call, or email.
Great advice. I will do just that. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.