PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Peck has a waynof making me laugh at anything. I echo the others google is not medical advice. If it were I would be here, i would have passed away a few monyhs away from a rare tropical beatle bite. Thank goodness it turned out to be an infected tooth!

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
"There's obviously no point in obsessing over this"
Best quote out of the entire thing.
That and I actually find Robert Downey jr arguing with a canine quite disturbing.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I bet if you looked hard enough, you would find multiple bad things that fit with what you are experiencing. No use in worrying about it until it is confirmed. There are usually a whole list of things that have to be happening before it turns out to be anything. Ever look at a DSM used by mental health care professionals? It is every easy to meet a lot of the symptoms for various mental health issues by reading, but comparing it to the actual person usually takes a lot more to be accurately diagnosed with something.
My wife smokes cigars and has gotten white spots before (and no Peck, I am clean down there) and regularly gets her teeth cleaned and checked. The dentist has never been concerned about her smoking cigars.
If pipe smoking is causing you angst though, I would heed the advice above and find another hobby.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
This is my last post on this subject. There's obviously no point in obsessing over this.
I can understand it occupying your mind quite a bit. I can recall years ago being concerned about a condition that turned out to be nothing - I hope it will be the same in your case.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Dec 24, 2012
To be clear, I wasn't trying to poke fun at your grievous situation and I also never intended to suggest that there is anything wrong with one licking their own genitalia. In many ways, I am envious of the ability of those who are far more dexterous than I am to engage in this useful, and possibly pleasurable, activity.
Now, please carry on with this discussion as I am sure that we are all learning something here.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I were in this situation I would already have seen a doctor and would most likely have any test results. My fate would be known and I could either be preparing to attack the problem or, having escaped the bullet, be enjoying a celebratory pipe. What's it been? Four or five days since this odyssey began?
I would not be airing my concerns with a bunch of people I really do not know on a public forum. Particularly when the vast majority of the membership have made a conscious decision to risk cancer in order to enjoy smoking.
Edit: There is one more thing, while you certainly have my sympathy if this turns out to be a worst case scenario, actions do have consequences. Suffer the consequences with a certain amount of dignity, fight it as best you can while getting on with life.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Frankly, I'm convinced it's leukoplakia....There's obviously no point in obsessing over this

I, for one, am impressed with the confidence that you have in your self-diagnosis.

Next step: Self-treatment.

leukoplakia is non-cancerous in 99 percent of the cases

All the more reason to wait a month or so to seek treatment. I mean if it IS cancer, well, that's going to be expensive, right? Better wait for insurance to cover it.
Honestly, the way you've gone about all this baffles me to no end. First, you seek the advice of total strangers, then you diagnose yourself via the interweb, then announce that it's most certainly precancerous, but that you are going to wait to see a doctor dentist until someone else pays for the visit.
Maybe it's because cancer runs in my family. Maybe it's because it killed my only sibling and almost killed my mother and father. Read this: Potentially serious health issues don't get treated by debating them on the interweb. You get your posterior to a qualified doctor posthaste, and if you still have any doubts, you seek a second, third or fourth opinion in quick succession.
Barring you doing this, I'm calling either BS or sheer stupidity on your part.
(Peck, you da' man.)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think some of you guys are being particularly harsh with Jazzlover. He saw something was wrong, looked it up and discovered what it might be. He admits he doesn't know and he says he's going to get professional advice.
And he comes here to discuss what is a reasonable concern with fellow pipe smokers (it may have to do with pipe smoking after all). So what's the problem?
I don't immediately think of a dentist if I had concerns of cancer in my mouth.
While it does seem strange, it actually is the first place to go.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The man needs to seek treatment, not the advice of clueless strangers. Cancer, or the possibility of cancer, no matter how remote, is not a matter for public debate. Days count, and he's already used up a bunch of them.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Number Six wrote:

While it does seem strange, it actually is the first place to go.

Number Six is right on target, and it isn't the least bit strange. Your dentist is the professional best qualified to recognize, and in many instances, treat oral lesions. If need be s/he will refer you to an oral surgeon, also usually a dentist.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
This thread has left a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended) since it started.

I have no problem with the OP expressing concern over a potential health threat. But he
  • directly
attributes the cause of his (suspected) health issue to smoking a pipe and nothing else (see thread title).

Then, in response to rockymtn's question regarding how much he smokes, the OP responds that it is irrelevant.

Self-diagnosis via the Internet is premature; attributing a cause for that issue is ridiculous.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
I have had white spots on my lips and inside the cheek area. They lasted for 2 days or so and went away. They felt raw and painful when anything touched them. I assumed they were something like cold sores and a result from irritation of the smoke or heat from the pipe stem. Is this what you are describing?

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
@Jazzlover Don't panic until your doctor tells you that you should be panicking, otherwise its simply frivolous.
On a more positive note: I think we should look into getting Peck his own television show. :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
yaddy sez:

attributing a cause for that issue is ridiculous

You may be on to something there....this is the OP's 5th post about either the harmful physical effects of smoking or healthcare and smoking.
In only 43 posts.
Just sayin'.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The man needs to seek treatment, not the advice of clueless strangers.
I admit we're not doctors, but we're not exactly clueless either. And he's never given any indication that he's accepting any single opinion or even his own research as fact.
Self-diagnosis via the Internet is premature; attributing a cause for that issue is ridiculous.
It's not self-diagnosis unless he quits smoking permanently due to his own research - which is not what he said he's doing. He's stated he will get professional advice.
I will admit that his fears may ultimately prove to be unfounded, but it still seems fair to me to run this by fellow pipe smokers without being ridiculed.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
You may be on to something there....this is the OP's 5th post about either the harmful physical effects of smoking or healthcare and smoking.
FWIW, while I personally don't worry about the ill effects from pipe smoking, there are many new smokers who - while desiring to smoke a pipe - are still worried about its effects.
There have been many new pipe smokers on this forum whose very first post is asking about ill health effects. I can't blame them for being worried since they are bombarded by negative media reports about the dangers of smoking on a daily basis.
Are their concerns unfounded? No. Are the ill effects of pipe smoking blown out of proportion by the media, IMHO> yes.

Thanks, I am now schooled on who to contact if I do have a worrisome sore in my mouth. But, if I did have a concern, I might want to inquire amongst fellow pipe smokers if they've had similar issues. It's not too out of the norm that a forum might be the best source for this. ...but, maybe after I've made an appointment with a professional. My dentist will see people right away if it's an emergency. I know, I've been left in the chair while waiting on him finish with emergencies :(

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
While I sympathize with the OP, and disagree with some of the ridicule, I will say its best not to be a pipe smoker if you are a hypochondriac. Youse make your bed and sleep in it. Which is to say that each person is different. We all come to the table with different levels of built in resistances. You've got to listen to the little man in your head and follow his advice. Last thought: Life is a gamble, no doubt about that. In the end all hands fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.