PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Not too long ago I'd written I'd ordered a half pound of a blend I'd long enjoyed-Oriental Silk-that was botched in some way. Didn't taste all that great. I'd recently bought a half pound of Sutliff's blending dark fired tobacco as I love dark fired, thinking I'd like it straight. It's fine that way but figured I'd like it better in a blend. Figured, why not? So, took that and mixed it with the Oriental Silk I hadn't pitched yet 60-40 blend in terms of the quantities I had. Now, it's a fine blend. C&D would be well served to come up with a blend based on that.puffy

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Not too long ago I'd written I'd ordered a half pound of a blend I'd long enjoyed-Oriental Silk-that was botched in some way. Didn't taste all that great. I'd recently bought a half pound of Sutliff's blending dark fired tobacco as I love dark fired, thinking I'd like it straight. It's fine that way but figured I'd like it better in a blend. Figured, why not? So, took that and mixed it with the Oriental Silk I hadn't pitched yet 60-40 blend in terms of the quantities I had. Now, it's a fine blend. C&D would be well served to come up with a blend based on that.puffy
Right on! Did you press it at all? Or allow it any time to "meld"?
I'm asking because I actually have both of these tobaccos on hand. The OS is unopened in a tin and may not be "botched" but I'm still tempted to give this a try.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Speaking of blenders, I added to mine:
14 oz of cold water,
three heaping tablespoons of powdered whole milk
three heaping tablespoons of Carnation Malted Milk
A goodly slosh of Vanilla Extract
A large dash of Kosher Salt
A heaping tablespoon of Smuckers Strawberry Preserves
Enough frozen strawberries until the blender couldn't mix them in anymore.
Best strawberry milkshake ever!

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
14 oz of cold water,
This sounds amazing

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
LOLOL!!!!
Get Jeremy Reeves on the phone so that irishearl can right the ship!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Right on! Did you press it at all? Or allow it any time to "meld"?
I'm asking because I actually have both of these tobaccos on hand. The OS is unopened in a tin and may not be "botched" but I'm still tempted to give this a try.
Nope. Just threw it all into a steel mixing bowl and mixed it up by hand. Threw it into a big zip lock bag and used it immediately.

Reactions: Scottmi and yanoJL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was surprised, and I think a lot of people would be surprised, at how good home mixes can be. Orientals and dark-fired sounds like a logical mix. I have always found a burley base, with a good portion of Virginia, and maybe some unflavored black Cavendish, is a good bet for me or probably anyone with a taste for burley.

It is also surprising how much you can change the flavor of a mix by changing proportions. Also, other condiments like Perique, cigar leaf, and Turkish, even in pinches, can give added interest.

But keeping a home mix/blend simple, by not loading in too many different tobaccos helps. Things can get a little harsh or muddy. Flavors can cancel each other. But experimenting is fun.

Any two tobaccos can be interesting, or adding one condiment to an existing blend can give a whole new taste experience.

14 oz of cold water,
That sounds like a goopy aromatic milk shake to me. You probably wouldn't even be able to taste the milk. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Blenders like everyone else can get led around by the money, hence the overuse of Latakia and Perique as default condiment tobaccos. But I admire nearly all of the blenders whose names I recognize for something.

Threats to put huge monetary obstacles in the way of new blends warns off new blood. I'd encourage a young pipe smoker to play with mixing tobaccos, but launch a career, I don't think so. And for youngish blenders, I'd say, cultivate a plan B.

Reactions: yanoJL

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That sounds like a goopy aromatic milk shake to me. You probably wouldn't even be able to taste the milk. puffy
Actually, since it doesn’t contain ice cream and it’s associated fat and gums, it is the inverse of goopy. If you leave out the bitters, the only aromatics are from the strawberries. The small amount of jam is there for needed sweetness. Much better than adding sugar or high fructose corn syrup,

Actually, since it doesn’t contain ice cream and it’s associated fat and gums, it is the inverse of goopy. If you leave out the bitters, the only aromatics are from the strawberries. The small amount of jam is there for needed sweetness. Much better than adding sugar or high fructose corn syrup,
Ha ha, to be fair, I make one with a banana, a carafe of espresso, and a scoop of ice cream. My wife calls it the Jumpy Monkey.