PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Been smoking a pipe since September, and many times it goes well. I have largely been smoking cube cut, flake, and crumble cake type tobaccos lately. Recently I have been revisiting some of the more standard cuts of tobacco and I have a problem packing the bowl. At least I think that is the problem. It is like I have forgotten what I was doing a month ago that made those burn well.

It seems that no matter how loose I pack by the time I have smoked half way or a little more, that very open draw I packed has become a pin hole that will barely smoke. Even If I run a pipe cleaner down the pipe, that may work for a moment but then often right back to a bowl that isn't tight, but won't draw. I can't constantly be getting tobacco in the airway, can I? Like a few times every bowl?

With the flakes, cube cuts, an crumble cake type this doesn't seem to be a big problem, but on more typical cuts it is. It does happen some with the cube cuts too, but mostly not. I have been doing gravity feeds to make for a looser bowl, but it still seems to end up tighter after some smoking even though it hasn't even been tamped or barely tamped at all.

I barely use a tamper, I don't pack it down as I am smoking unless I feel I really have to do so because it is too loose to burn well. It almost seems like the light ash falls down in the tobacco and starts clogging things. Am I packing too loose? Do I need to remove ash from the bowl more often? I wish I knew other pipe smokers, I'm sure if someone watched me pack and smoke they could help me easier, but as it is that is not possible so I turn to you guys (again). I honestly think part of what I like about crumble cakes, flakes, and cube cut is that they are easier to pack and smoke for me.

These were the same cuts I started smoking, and I swear it was going better before I started smoking all the flakes.

I know this is user error, just trying to figure out if it is the smoking or the packing or both. I do dry everything before smoking, at least a half hour (usually longer) in a fairly dry house (around 40% humidity). This isn't the biggest deal in the world, but it does seem to cause a lot of re-lights on that last half or third of a bowl as the draw gets worse and the tobacco doesn't burn as well. I feel like if I smoke any slower I will no longer actually be smoking at all, but the tobacco does seem a bit moist down there towards the end too sometimes on these cuts.

Once again, about the time I think I am starting to get the hang of all this, turns out I look like a kid trying to smoke his dads pipe without a clue! I am sure that if there is a way to do so, I am making it harder than it really is. I still wish I could watch (in person) someone with a lot of experience pack and smoke a few bowls of different tobaccos. I have watched plenty of videos and I think I might still suck at smoking.

To give you examples of what I am talking about, a couple that have done this recently were Father Dempsey, Yorktown, and I think Pegasus also. I swear I have smoked the Pegasus and Dempsey without this happening in the past. I just cannot figure out what I am doing differently now than I was before I went down the flake rabbit hole.

Oh, also one more question, how much of an ember do you guys try to get going when you light the pipe? I have been just trying to get just enough to make it smoke a bit, but I saw a fella on one of these forum pages the other day saying that beginners are too afraid to get strong ember going in the beginning (because we are told to real slow and not ever puff) but that you should start with a full strong ember when lighting. Any opinions on this?

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
The tell tale sign of an efficiently packed bowl, I've found, is to seal the palm of your hand over the rim of the tobacco filled bowl and suck. If you can feel the vacuum you've created, your tobacco isn't over packed and should fire up just fine.
At least this always worked for me.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Process (provided you’ve prepped, dried, and etc. your ?)…
1. Gravity fill your bowl
2. Give a gentle tap to the bowl
3. Lightly press down on top
4 Gravity fill again
5. Give a gentle tap and fill the pipe to the brim & press a bit firmer, but not much
6. Finally, grab some shavings and drop them on top and ignite your bowl.

However, (provided the blend is ready rubbed) most of the time I just poke my pipe in a bag and finger fill the bowl like an old timer. It works almost every time, but did take a touch of practice at first. ?☕

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
There is no exclusive rule to pack a pipe. I started out w/the Frank’s method, then modified it several times… and now I just scoop, tap, and go. I find that loosely filled w/dry tobacco works best, and slightly tamping throughout…puffy

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Process (provided you’ve prepped, dried, and etc. your ?)…
1. Gravity fill your bowl
2. Give a gentle tap to the bowl
3. Lightly press down on top
4 Gravity fill again
5. Give a gentle tap and fill the pipe to the brim & press a bit firmer, but not much
6. Finally, grab some shavings and drop them on top and ignite your bowl.

However, (provided the blend is ready rubbed) most of the time I just poke my pipe in a bag and finger fill the bowl like an old timer. It works almost every time, but did take a touch of practice at first. ?☕
This is pretty much what I have been doing (or at least what I think I am doing), but I'm not pressing it down at all (other than to kind of level it) because I thought it was somehow getting too tight. So maybe I am on the right track. What really irks me is that it seemed I had a better grip on this two months ago than I do now.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
This is pretty much what I have been doing (or at least what I think I am doing), but I'm not pressing it down at all (other than to kind of level it) because I thought it was somehow getting too tight. So maybe I am on the right track. What really irks me is that it seemed I had a better grip on this two months ago than I do now.
Almost always this is user error. It’s a process…I didn’t know how to pack a pipe & smoke it properly for the first 6 months or so. But, no being a quitter I persevered and now I can smoke most any pipe and blend to success. It takes time, and some truly never get it right I hear. Just enjoy the journey and +/- what works/doesn’t for you. ?☕

Reactions: Ryan

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Damn, it just happened again. Mac Baren 7 Seas, left out overnight to dry. Loaded the bowl very loosely. I could easily draw with no effort. I have smoked it down maybe a third of the way, I have not tamped it at all and the draw is now far more constricted and doesn't pull well. Am I just too dumb to smoke a pipe? Don't actually answer that! haha

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Almost always this is user error. It’s a process…I didn’t know how to pack a pipe & smoke it properly for the first 6 months or so. But, no being a quitter I persevered and now I can smoke most any pipe and blend to success. It takes time, and some truly never get it right I hear. Just enjoy the journey and +/- what works/doesn’t for you. ?☕
I might never get it right? I hope I do! Otherwise I guess I will just smoke flakes only, I don't have much problem with them. Other than the University Flake I cried about recently.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I might never get it right? I hope I do! Otherwise I guess I will just smoke flakes only, I don't have much problem with them. Other than the University Flake I cried about recently.
You could do worse than “just smoking flakes”. There are those that have a hell of a time enjoying those too. ?☕

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I was reading another post on here recently and someone mentioned hunkering down on one blend and learning to smoke that one well. I have jumped around a lot, I have tried tons of stuff, but I haven't smoked one tobacco consistently for any amount of time. I have never even finished a single pouch or tin. I keep trying new things.

Maybe I need to hunker down on one blend and learn how to pack and smoke it. When you jump around with no experience like I have, it is hard to remember what worked last time. And then it might be a month before I smoke it again. Now, what blend to hunker down on?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Sounds like you may not be drying your tobacco enough. You may also not be tamping correctly. Wet tobacco will expand significantly as you smoke, especially Flake. Over tamping can compress the tobacco and an to where the draw is difficult. You can also get some small pieces of tobacco in the airway. Run a pipe cleaner all the way through and twist to try to clear things a bit.

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
Most new pipers, including me, practices/researches/takes notes on packing bowls lol. Now 20 years later we say “idk, I just fill it and smoke it”. Here’s my 2p. Pack two bowls differently with the same tobacco. Smoke both at once taking turns. Use your pick half way through and stir it all up. Make sure to lightly blow out before in after stirring. This will lead you to where you want to go. Have fun and good luck.

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
I have largely been smoking cube cut, flake, and crumble cake type tobaccos lately ... Any opinions on this?

pick one tobacco and stick with it until you can pack and smoke it without thinking about it. not just one cut, but one tobacco, whichever you like the most. maybe even pick one pipe as well. eliminate all other smoke-to-smoke variances and you will figure things out much more quickly. that's how the old codgers did it, and it works. i learned as much about the mechanics during those 6 months I spent smoking nothing but SoL White in a pioneer calabash as I have the rest of my 30 years, maybe more.

Reactions: seanv and Ryan

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Most new pipers, including me, practices/researches/takes notes on packing bowls lol. Now 20 years later we say “idk, I just fill it and smoke it”. Here’s my 2p. Pack two bowls differently with the same tobacco. Smoke both at once taking turns. Use your pick half way through and stir it all up. Make sure to lightly blow out before in after stirring. This will lead you to where you want to go. Have fun and good luck.
um, stirring? I have not seen a lot of talk of stirring. I do it a little at the bottom of the bowl sometimes, am I supposed to be stirring more often? I guess I had the idea that you were supposed to load it up and not touch it except for when you really had to tamp.

Reactions: forloveoffreedom

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Sounds like you may not be drying your tobacco enough. You may also not be tamping correctly. Wet tobacco will expand significantly as you smoke, especially Flake. Over tamping can compress the tobacco and an to where the draw is difficult. You can also get some small pieces of tobacco in the airway. Run a pipe cleaner all the way through and twist to try to clear things a bit.
When I tamp, I only tamp ash and I try to not even really touch the tobacco. Am I doing that right?

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
um, stirring? I have not seen a lot of talk of stirring. I do it a little at the bottom of the bowl sometimes, am I supposed to be stirring more often? I guess I had the idea that you were supposed to load it up and not touch it except for when you really had to tamp.
If the last half of a bowl starts tasting wet you can run a pipe cleaner, set it down or just stir it all up and lightly tamp while sipping more slowly. It might not be a popular technique but it sure gets the flavors tasting better. Try it and see, there are no rules as long as you are enjoying/learning.

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I have been packing bowls so loose in an effort to make them draw throughout the whole bowl that when I have to tamp ash that first time, it is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the bowl already smoked. Like I have a 1/2" of ash sitting there when I tamp down. Should I not tamp and just dump ash instead?