jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Unfortunately most California breweries seem to do 20 different IPA beers. Although sours seem to be coming into fashion which is nice.

I'd rather drink a well made lager than an IPA.
IPA fatigue is definitely a thing. I used to love IPAs, and I do still enjoy them, but over the past few years I often choose a different style, including lagers. Over the past two years I've only brewed one IPA, and I've been brewing lagers every winter when the temperatures are cool enough in my fermentation room to allow it. Brewing a good lager is very satisfying.

I do enjoy sours, and my wife loves them, but they aren't a daily drinker for me and I've thus far resisted the idea of brewing one for that reason. I've been thinking of taking advantage of our abundance of blackberries here though and making one.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
IPA fatigue is definitely a thing. I used to love IPAs, and I do still enjoy them, but over the past few years I often choose a different style, including lagers. Over the past two years I've only brewed one IPA, and I've been brewing lagers every winter when the temperatures are cool enough in my fermentation room to allow it. Brewing a good lager is very satisfying.

I do enjoy sours, and my wife loves them, but they aren't a daily drinker for me and I've thus far resisted the idea of brewing one for that reason. I've been thinking of taking advantage of our abundance of blackberries here though and making one.
Blackberry sour sounds fantastic, I'm sure it will come out great.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Had some time to kill this afternoon so I thought why not stop and have a beer?

Now it just so happens we have a liquor store near me called Khoury's which is one of my favorite places.

Ordered a glass of Belching Beaver barrel aged imperial milk stout with banana, chocolate, & peanut butter (13.5% ABV) and decided to shop a little.

Short story long, this beer is insanely fantastic! It's not like drinking beer. It's like a drinkable pudding. Dessert in a glass. It's not an all day drinker but an excellent end of the day sipper.

On to glass number 2.

What was my point?

Oh yes. The results:

View attachment 188381

View attachment 188383

And just because:

View attachment 188386

View attachment 188387

This should keep me busy through the holidays.
😍
Came across this OP a bit late.
Did you have the GB Noe with Christmas cake/Plum Pudding and brandy custard ?
😋😋

A few years ago I met Senor Antonio Flores (winemaker and cellar master of GB) in Sydney over a small dinner and a tasting of the GB Palmas range of sherries.
He was rather taken by a vin jaune and a very old Aussie (Rutherglen) muscadelle I brought along to the dinner.
The vin jaune being reminiscent of a fino, and the muscadelle of an old PX

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I don't do IPA's or sours, I've tried em' but not a fan, blech!
However, I do love everything else, especially the dark beers like porters and stouts and cream stouts. The Belching Beaver is fantastic, as is the Busted Knuckle Peanut Butter Porter and Guinness is always a go to for me.
Almost all Belgians, Browns, Bocks, Reds, Ambers, Ales and Lagers of all types are fantastic as well, but not a fan of the fruity flavored beers (except Corona and Dos Equis which are good with a lime wedge).
I do love the aged bourbon barrel stouts, although I gotta go easy on em' and sip, because they always have a higher ABV% (not a bad thing).
It always helps to have a nice selection on tap and a good, comfortable bar to sit at whilst imbibing... being able to watch a nice MLB or NFL game also helps!

Reactions: Briar Tuck

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I don't drink much beer anymore but I learned about 30 years ago that drinking the big brand name beers (Budweiser, Miller, etc.) was not as satisfying as having a good, small brewery or craft beer. Now that I think about it, back in the early 70s my favorite brews were usually from a small regional brewery than the bigger brands. (One of my favorites back then was Heidelberg Alt (brewed with dark roasted malt) available only in the Pacific Northwest. The one beer I never enjoyed was an IPA. I've always said if I wanted something that tasted like pine needles, I would go out and the backyard and pull the needles off a pine tree.