PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Had some time to kill this afternoon so I thought why not stop and have a beer?

Now it just so happens we have a liquor store near me called Khoury's which is one of my favorite places.

Ordered a glass of Belching Beaver barrel aged imperial milk stout with banana, chocolate, & peanut butter (13.5% ABV) and decided to shop a little.

Short story long, this beer is insanely fantastic! It's not like drinking beer. It's like a drinkable pudding. Dessert in a glass. It's not an all day drinker but an excellent end of the day sipper.

On to glass number 2.

What was my point?

Oh yes. The results:

1000003660.jpg

1000003664.jpg

And just because:

1000003657.jpg

1000003662.jpg

This should keep me busy through the holidays.

Attachments

• 1000003664.jpg
    1000003664.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 14

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Them Backwoods Bastards are delicious! They pair great with a good smoke!

I just finished a liquor store trip, too. A friend is having a holiday party soon, and I was tasked with getting drinks for everyone. I bought some good beers, some swill, and a handle of Jack for the host since he doesn't like beer too much. Also bringing an orangesicle mead that a different friend brewed for me. Even bought some sodas for my teetotaler pals.

But Shanez, those brews look mighty good. Perhaps you should make more trips to the liquor store? :sher:

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I'm a big fan of Belching Beaver and I used to visit the brewery when I still lived in SoCal. I'd love to get ahold of some Westmalle. I applaud your selections.

We also made a liquor store run today and ended up with five bottles of assorted whiskeys, a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year old that my wife bought me, and a couple bottles of tawny porto. We picked up some beer at the grocery store too.

Definitely more than enough for the holidays and beyond.

Reactions: shanez

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Give me Guinness and I'm happy as a clam. Don't usually go to liquor store. Used to love cheap Scotch. Then single malts. That changed to rum and now enjoy Irish whiskey. But rarely drink liquor. Might partake some tonight.

Reactions: shanez

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Not long ago Backwoods Bastard was almost impossible to find and very expensive when found. I might have to go back and grab a couple more 4 packs.

Reactions: NomadOrb
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Not long ago Backwoods Bastard was almost impossible to find and very expensive when found. I might have to go back and grab a couple more 4 packs.
I haven't found it anywhere the last couple of years, for sure buy more.
Michigan is considered the craft beer state and we have a few heavy hitters. Founders and Bell's are two examples.

As a result, I'm fortunate to have a great selection of craft beers for a reasonable price (Backwoods is usually around $14 or $12 on sale). A typical craft 6-pack runs about $9.99 on sale.

If you enjoy barrel aged beers, Founder's KBS and its varients are worth getting (and no longer a white whale in Michigan) as is Dragon's Milk by New Holland (think Guinness on steroids). Breakfast Stout is another Founder's classic while the gold standard IPA is Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Unfortunately most California breweries seem to do 20 different IPA beers. Although sours seem to be coming into fashion which is nice.

I'd rather drink a well made lager than an IPA.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Place looks fantastic! A liquor store here can't even legally poor you a sample if you wish to buy a 300 euro bottle of scotch... They mostly do in a backroom. I have a monthly subscription to a beer club where I get 12 different beers each month and a few times a year they offer a 1 brewery box which I usually buy. Like tobacco, I get more than I drink, so I have quite a beer "cellar". Sometimes there are some USA brewed beers in it, I had a few Founders in it like the Dirty Bastard which was enjoyable! I also like the oat stout they make. Westmalle is one of my favorite beers that can be bought in a regular grocery store, I prefer the double above the triple they brew.