PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Look on the bright side. This could be an excuse to buy another pipe, new or estate, in the form of a P-lip, probably a Peterson, with the bit that directs the smoke away from your tongue and toward the roof of your mouth. I'd second the motion on quitting for week or two to heal, and maybe that's time to get the P-lip, if your budget permits. I have one P-lip that I enjoy, but I wouldn't get more unless I had this problem ... them maybe I would.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just had an ephinay, I heard a booming voice that laid out the rules for a burnt tongue.

If my tongue gets burnt, I will get a glass of the cheap grapefruit juice that comes in a can, empty it into a glass and let your tongue stay there as long as you can take the pain, then switch to milk to put out the fire.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Bloody Marc

Lurker
May 2, 2020
Michigan
Thanks for the replies fellas. Unfortunately being in Michigan, all the pipe and tobacco shops in my area are closed. Therefore I am at the mercy of the USPS and all the tobacco I have handy is Mac Baren. I'm hoping it's just a reaction to this brand because this has been going on since I started piping a month ago and that's the only brand I've tried.

Reactions: gamzultovah

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks for the replies fellas. Unfortunately being in Michigan, all the pipe and tobacco shops in my area are closed. Therefore I am at the mercy of the USPS and all the tobacco I have handy is Mac Baren. I'm hoping it's just a reaction to this brand because this has been going on since I started piping a month ago and that's the only brand I've tried.
It is at least in part.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
From your description, it seems to me to be an adverse chemical reaction. Those are very high-sugar blends you're smoking. They are most likely reacting to the pH level of your mouth at point of contact. Changes in diet, exercise level, and age can all lead to that effect.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Try drying it out all the way. I have never ever got tongue bite from vanilla flake.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It might be a chemistry problem. Lots of people have trouble with MacBaren blends but I don’t.

The only time I got tongue bite I was drinking a slightly alkaline tea with a blend, instead of my usual slightly acidic coffee. I am going to revisit that tobacco with coffee some day to see if it was just the combination. Maybe the OP could benefit from an acidic accompaniment?