PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bloody Marc

Lurker
May 2, 2020
Michigan
I've been experiencing a mild irritation on the tip and middle of my tongue. I don't think it is tongue bite because if I puff to hard I get a much different burning sensation. I'm smoking slow and it almost feels like I've let ice cream sit on my tongue for too long. I've been smoking Mac Baren vanilla flake and navy flake during the day as well as Mac Baren plum cake after dinner. The flavor is there for less than a minute and then all I taste is "ice" with the irritation. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Reactions: thedoc333

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I get something I call acid burn. I am allergic to red Virginia tobacco. If I try smoking a blend heavy in it. Once The smoke hits my tongue there is a painful feeling as acid being sprayed on my tongue. It is that freaking painful/ I learned what tobacco to stay away from. The only reds in y cellar is Solani 660 which has a little red but is off set by the Kentucky luckily for me. I had recently been smoking a batch of 2012 660 and loved it. Ni burn no issues it has aged really well.

The last time I burned my tongue was from a 3-4 year old tin of Samuel Gawith Cabbies Mixture. I never even thought that SG used reds as none of my others had any. So I get a nasty burn put the tin away and figure some day I will sell the other 24. It was the only time I didn't try a test tin and it burned me. I have always tested a blend very well before I would load up/. No biggie as Cabbies is popular.

I hope no one else has troubles with the reds as they are tasty. It has to do with my alkalinity as I have had kidney stones over 1- times and all bout a couple of the stones were uric acid.

• Wow
Reactions: greeneyes

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019

Burley = High pH = Tongue Bite.

Reactions: rushx9

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

Maybe explains why that one time I ate a very spicy wrap after smoking an aro the bite went away immediately. ?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Sounds like a case of good ol' Macbitis. Every MacBaren blend under the regular MacBaren label (not HH, Capstan, Amphora, St Bruno, etc.) bites the shit outta me unless I let it dry almost crispy. Then I still have to smoke slower than usual and watch myself. I love Plumcake but it will get me if I let my attention drift. Even Original Choice, advertised as specially blended not to "smart" the tongue? gets me. I think they expect the Euro market to use 9mm filters. I just dry more than usual and smoke extra carefully because I find the flavors in their blends are worth the effort. You may wanna try out a carbon filter pipe if you're gonna stick with big Mac.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Sounds like a case of good ol' Macbitis. Every MacBaren blend under the regular MacBaren label (not HH, Capstan, Amphora, St Bruno, etc.) bites the shit outta me unless I let it dry almost crispy. Then I still have to smoke slower than usual and watch myself. I love Plumcake but it will get me if I let my attention drift. Even Original Choice, advertised as specially blended not to "smart" the tongue? gets me. I think they expect the Euro market to use 9mm filters. I just dry more than usual and smoke extra carefully because I find the flavors in their blends are worth the effort. You may wanna try out a carbon filter pipe if you're gonna stick with big Mac.
An absolute truth,I have found every Mc Baren blend ought to be dried out and benefit from looser packing

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Agreed. Some blends can nip the tongue worse than others. Quit smoking those blends and smoke other blends that haven't bothered you only. See if the problem persists.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yeah

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018

George Pease? ?‍♂️

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I've been experiencing a mild irritation on the tip and middle of my tongue. I don't think it is tongue bite because if I puff to hard I get a much different burning sensation. I'm smoking slow and it almost feels like I've let ice cream sit on my tongue for too long. I've been smoking Mac Baren vanilla flake and navy flake during the day as well as Mac Baren plum cake after dinner. The flavor is there for less than a minute and then all I taste is "ice" with the irritation. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
All these toppings simply add chemicals to the list of chemicals already in the tobacco; try switching to plainer blends for a while.