PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With several score pipes in the racks, I don't reload unless I'm away from home and only have

one pipe with me or close at hand. Otherwise, it seems disrespectful to my stable of pipes, to

burn any one too much and not get the benefit of having a collection. Anyone else feel that way?

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
If one is fortunate enough to have a collection — I have 30 or so in my robest rotation — it's best not to reload. If you take care of your pipes, they'll take care of you ... for a long time.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I reload. I'll smoke the same pipe for a day if I'm not changing up blends. I also have a set of pipes I use more than others. I have a cob that I rarely use and a no-name estate basket pipe that I also rarely smoke. My Savs, Falcon, Pete, and YB Chesterfield see the most use.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I also like to rotate my pipes and usually will try and not use the same cob pipe for at least 2-3 days. I mostly smoke my briars on weekends so they typically will go a week between smokes. The only exception is if I'm out smoking with a buddy and happen to only have one pipe on me. If that's the case then I may repack for an extra bowl or two.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Mike at Walker is working on 4 of my pipes, and when they are put in rotation, I will pass over the mark of what I consider to be ample for the number of blends that I smoke, which at any one time is 20-30. Even so when I pull a pipe to smoke, I'm likely to smoke it 3 or 4 Xs in the course of 48 hours. Though I think resting pipes has the better argument than ignoring this, my real feeling is that pipes can be smoked with far less resting time than is commonly advocated. If I want to smoke a pipe, I smoke it!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Pipes smoke better and drier rested. I always rest them. If I travel I take enough pipes. A 7 day trip requires at least 7 pipes for the healthy rotation, but I normally take more than that.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I never reload. If I am away from the house, I always take two pipes with me so that I can switch off between smokes. At home, obviously I have enough so that reloading isn't an issue.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
The only time I have used the same pipe back to back is when I was camping. And I don't like to change styles of tobacco in a single pipe until that pipe has been thoroughly rested for a couple days (i.e. I don't go from Molto Dolce to Capstan in a single pipe without a good rest). I don't know if it matters or if it is just in my head.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
All due respect Gents, but I think that we can go overboard with all this pipe care concern. I find it hard to believe that putting a few bowls through a pipe will sour it. Besides, if I'm out and about for the day I'll happily reload my pipe and I have never sensed the slightest bit of difference. I´m also positive my Grandad smoked on the same pipe all day long without ever having a problem. My main reason for usually changing pipes throughout the day is the fact that I have the luxury of variety in both pipes and tobacco.

You are absolutely correct, Dottie. But, if you have the pipes, why not rotate them?

I come from a long line of men who used one pipe and one tobacco all day long, every day of the year. But, they also bought cheapy pipes (or made their own) and tossed them when they were caked and soured.
The sour comes from allowing the moisture stay inside the pipes. When I do repack a pipe, I like to clean it really well with a pipe cleaner first between smokes. Even then, it will smell stronger of wet ashtray, especially if I have it in my suit pocket, yuck. But, if it never ever rests, it can start to perma-sour.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I will sometimes smoke a second bowl if I only have 1 pipe and 1 tobacco blend with me, and if I'm feeling lazy (or I'm all grubby from weeding the back lot...). My "pipe bag", which I carry if I plan to hit the B&M, usually has 2 pipes in it (at least) and 2 tobacco pouches, so I can trade off if I spend the whole afternoon there.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I seldom smoke the same pipe twice a week. Others less than once a month, but they never go more than 2 months.

But I only have fifty some pipes, and every time I finish a bowl I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and folded around the bowl so it dries that much faster.
tinner :puffy:

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I'm a "let the pipes speak to me and whichever one speaks the loudest gets the smoke" kind of guy. Usually provides the adequate variety.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Of course I reload. I smoke more than one bowl a day. I have other things to do than clean 5-6 pipes a day, especially as I'm very particular about cleaning.

I do rotate pipes to let them have a rest, anywhere from a week to several months. Pipes benefit from the occasional long rest.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A briar in my collection will go 5-7 days between smokes.
The cobs are generally considered "good to go" after a days rest.
If I smoke several bowls from the same cob, I'll give it a couple extra days ... maybe. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.