PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Well, I went to the doctor last week. Generally speaking, I had a pretty good check-up, except... my BP remains high, even with some purdy stout meds. So, I've decided that I shouldn't be smoking a pipe nor drinking more than 2 cups of coffee a day. As a result, I am selling all my pipe tobaccos. Esoterica Penzance / Stonehaven, FVF, Christmas seasonals... everything. I will be listing them in FS/FT over the coming weeks. Please don't b_tch about the prices, because I had to pay a premium for em' too. Y'all are a GREAT group of guys to hang out with, but it's time to begin closing this chapter of my life for health reasons.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I say, work on that high blood pressure first. As you know, it can cause a variety of problems, none of them good. I approve of your categorical decision, though you might want to keep two or three pipes and a tin or two for special occasions. See if you can find a way to lower BP, and how you are feeling. Your health first.

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I hope your health improves.

I have serious health problems, among them high blood pressure, I take medication for it, it caused me cerebral microinfarcts and neurological lesions, among others chronic headache, chronic migraines and insomnia.

I am closely monitored by doctors, especially one of the best neurologists in Spain.

When I told him:
- I drink three cups of coffee a day and smoke two pipes a day. But I don't swallow smoke and I don't smoke cigarettes.

Doc. - Since when do you do that?

- Since I was about 15 or 16 years old.

Doc - and this never happened to you until you were 49?

- no, I have never had these problems

Doc - cut your coffee down to one cup, two some days and enjoy your pipes, it doesn't cause your health problems. It's something else

After much trial and error, the doctor right, I have a chronic degenerative disease which is what causes this.

Conclusion of the doctor, drinking a coffee and smoking two pipes a day, are not as bad for your health as people say, in fact, in certain cases, it is necessary to control the day to day and stress.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Thanks for all of your input. Yeah, it's probably a combo of many different things. Cutting back / quitting the baccy, more exercise, and portion control are already in progress. I don't think I have the luxury of time to be able to isolate each factor independently. If my BP meds would get me down to below 160/100 (unmedicated is 180/120), I might attempt to isolate each factor, but the doc says I need to make some "major changes" NOW or else I'm heading for a stroke or other cardio issues very soon.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Thanks for all of your input. Yeah, it's probably a combo of many different things. Cutting back / quitting the baccy, more exercise, and portion control are already in progress. I don't think I have the luxury of time to be able to isolate each factor independently. If my BP meds would get me down to below 160/100 (unmedicated is 180/120), I might attempt to isolate each factor, but the doc says I need to make some "major changes" NOW or else I'm heading for a stroke or other cardio issues very soon.
That’s the thing to do however after your numbers improve you could add one thing back at a time in more moderation than you are used to and be able to enjoy a treat every once and a while. Watch your numbers close and if they start to creep up then back off again and stop whatever did that entirely.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You don’t think this is the problem not a few pipes? Lol
yeah my blood pressure got a bit out of control. I refused to quit tobacco. And without changing my tobacco usage got it back to a reasonable place. And diet was a big part of it. Funny fact the pipe actually helped lower it. Why cause it's a lot easier to make sure you get out the door and get some exercise if you have a pipe to take on walks. And also weird fact all those foods you shouldn't eat actually taste way better when they're an occasional thing not a regular part of your diet. So I second the pipe isn't even the most practical thing to get rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.