PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I don't want to quit my pipes so I have never admitted to any medical pro (or ins. co.) that I smoke anything. When my doc wanted to help me fix my BP I went to a nutritionist and fixed my diet. That brought me sensible BP numbers. And of course, moderation is always the way to go when it comes to ingesting anything you know is bad for you. Don't stop living a happy life. You'll die.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Reactions: BROBS

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Sorry to hear this; I hope the diet, coffee and exercise changes work to fix the problem and as other have suggested stop smoking for a while but hold of selling the pipes for a while until you have a chance to see if they are a problem or not.

I used to have slightly raised blood pressure (the sort of levels where the doctor hmms and arrhs about losing weight cutting down on alcohol but doesn't go overboard on doom and gloom) and changed my diet (more portion control and cut down on red meat - note that was cut down and not cut out).

I also stopped drinking full fat coke and the like (easy to do when coke zero existed but the as****es at coca cola changed the recipe and imo the so called newer better tasting version is only good for cleaning the drains with) so I've now stopped full fat and sugar free soft drinks.

Still drink alcohol but a lot less than I used to and I continue to drink lots of espresso coffee...

That all did the trick.

Oh, and then I took up pipe smoking and it doesn't appear to have any effect on b.p. but it does help me relax so helps heart rate (although mine has always been lowish much to my doctors surprise).

Mar 1, 2014
Well, I went to the doctor last week. Generally speaking, I had a pretty good check-up, except... my BP remains high, even with some purdy stout meds. So, I've decided that I shouldn't be smoking a pipe nor drinking more than 2 cups of coffee a day. As a result, I am selling all my pipe tobaccos. Esoterica Penzance / Stonehaven, FVF, Christmas seasonals... everything. I will be listing them in FS/FT over the coming weeks. Please don't b_tch about the prices, because I had to pay a premium for em' too. Y'all are a GREAT group of guys to hang out with, but it's time to begin closing this chapter of my life for health reasons.

Have you tried using moderation?

If it's the change you need don't let anyone say otherwise, but there are very few people who can't comfortably smoke a bowl or two every week.

Mar 1, 2014
If you're wondering how to lose weight fast while staying healthy, the usual Body Builder diet is (Primarily) Skinless Chicken, Broccoli and Yogurt (of course always keep a moderate rotation of fruits and vegetables, plus mineral supplements).
And extra Protein Powder depending on how much you lift, but for normal people it shouldn't be too hard to just do the Chicken/Broccoli routine and drop weight fast without feeling like crap all the time.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I had a heart attack a couple of years ago, at 37, due to genetic high cholesterol and probably not-so genetic high blood pressure. I actually picked up the pipe AFTER my heart attack, to help ween me off the pack a day cig habit. Made a point to never inhale. Started out having to smoke 5+ bowls a day of strong tobacco like Royal Yacht, 1792, and other various Gawith flakes and twists.
Now I can smoke a small bowl or three a day, or skip a few days without ever feeling a nicotine craving, so it's just a smoke for flavor and pleasure. And I smoke in a well ventilated area and still never inhale, so I don't think it affects my health anymore than standing by a campfire for an hour.
After a couple years of high doses of medication that cause me severe muscle cramps without much difference in my numbers, I finally ditched all meat from my diet and really started noticing a boost in my general health and a drop in my BP. Dropped dairy and eggs about a month ago and now feel better than ever. Actually looking forward to my next checkup to find out what my cholesterol is looking like, and hoping they'll lower my dosage on some of the more problematic meds.
I hope you can get your health issues sorted and, if you so choose, still be able to enjoy an occasional relaxing smoke! Even if smoking is out for you, I hope you'll look into how diet and nutrition can affect heart health.
Plenty of conflicting info out there, most paid for by lobby groups, but physicians have been saying pretty much the same thing for centuries -- "let thy food be thy medicine,..."
Be well!

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
@rushx9 ...we have been through similar ordeals.

I started smoking a pipe shortly before my 'thing' ...the biggest differences for me have come from changes in diet/exercise and keeping up on my meds/dr's visits (which I refused to do for the better part of two decades) ...a couple years out and my numbers look pretty good/i feel fantastic. i am lucky and grateful.

health always has to come first, best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.