PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I honestly don’t think we can say we Got It, unless we’ve smoked every blend on the planet.

Sure, a lot of blends are very similar, but a lot aren’t, even as subtle as they may be, there are differences.

If I had to take a wild guess, by the way you were talking about Aromatics, you are stereotyping typical Aros, goopy moist, heavily cased/topped, etc...

There are a lot of Aros out there, people are still calling VAs, Burelys, and VAPers, but they are clearly Aromatics cased and topped.

Have you ever smoked Esoterica Dorchester or Dunbar? Both Aromatics, not properly labeled as such. Samuel Gawith Grousemoor another Aromatic, that is listed as an Aro, but very much like Dorchester and Dunbar.

Get your hands on one of these three, then come back and please tell us your experiences.

Now maybe, even subtle Aros like this could still bother you, then you are just overly sensitive, but these three are not typical Aros either.

Just remember, you can’t put every Aro under the same categories as saying they are all going to bother you, because of their toppings/casings, because they are not all prepared the same ways.

So your selling yourself short here, believing this, and also missing out on other great blends out there.

P.S. And when you mentioned how your throat feels, that’s probably because of Propylene Glycol, which can be heavily used in Aromatics, but it can also be found too in Non Aromatics.

Last edited:

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
It sounds like you’re well on your way. Learning to appreciate the complexity of a blend and pipe combo is a huge step. The final leg for me was to stop thinking so much about all that and just enjoy a good smoke as I go about my day. Trying new things is always fun though.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
@PipeIT,
Have you ever smoked Esoterica Dorchester or Dunbar? Both Aromatics, not properly labeled as such. Samuel Gawith Grousemoor another Aromatic, that is listed as an Aro, but very much like Dorchester and Dunbar.

Get your hands on one of these three, then come back and please tell us your experiences.

I haven't smoked any of the three you mention, PipeIT. The Esoterica is like hen's teeth, although I'm still looking for it. However, if you say that the Samuel Gawith Grousemoor is very much like the two Esoterica blends, then I'll get some, as I guess it maybe easier to get a hold of.

Ha! waddya know. SP is currently out of stock of the SG Grousemoor.
Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and PipeIT

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I totally get where you are coming from. I was a consistent pipe smoker for several years and like you enjoyed it; however, I was not enjoying it to the extent of having a transcendent experience. So, about two years ago I just quit smoking my pipes. Then about six months ago, I picked up my pipes again and in the last three months I finally hit the level of just getting it. I am fully immersed in flavors, flavors and even more flavors. I now understand what it means to smoke slow and keep the heat down.
Wonderful to hear, completely agree! Cheers

Reactions: jpmcwjr

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
The Peretti suggestions are particularly good.

You might also consider the following, based on your preferences. Savinelli Brunello Flake is a particularly well balanced Oriental forward flake.

Another maker who you might like is Watch City. Ernie has consistently turned out some of the most popular blends and actual, real, small batch releases being made today. Right now he has a rarity available in the oriental department, Glass Slipper, which he only releases when he can get the exact components. Watch City's Burley crumbles and flakes have been much loved for years, Watch City Slices, Deluxe Crumb Cut, Original Crumb Cut, orientals like Rhythm and Blues, Persian Slipper and Glass Slipper. And he makes some of the most popular and sought after Va/Pers, particularly Rougaroux, that is released twice a year and sells out in an hour. Get on his mailing list and you'll get advance notice of release dates for all of the limited run releases.

Ernie gets my respect for a couple of reasons. He sits in the grand old tradition of really talented tobacconist/proprietors who produced their own store blends, something that was more common when I started smoking a pipe 50 years ago and is practically extinct today. If the components for making a blend are not available, that blend goes out of stock until the components become available again. There's no pretending, and secretly making substitutions. There's no bullshit. That's pretty rare today as well.

Bottom line. Watch City produces some really great and unique blends.

And since you're interested in Burleys you might check out Uhle's, which is much loved by Burley fans. Their offerings are largely the more traditional tobacconist sort, lots of aromatics and Burley/Cavendish, but they offer some Burley blends that get deep love and respect and which have for decades.
I am so grateful for this detailed response and suggestions. Kindest regards and for sure I will sign up for his mailing list and check out the others as well! Cheers

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
For sure, and by the looks of the responses, I see I'm not the only one. Thanks for your comments, cheers.
that I get it moment is great. Not that you don't enjoy it before that. But that moment you realize how sublime the joy of a good smoke really can be. It's a little magic if you ask me

Reactions: anotherbob

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I have been on a similar journey as well. I mostly put it aside through the Rona yrs and primarily stuck to cigars.

For some reason I picked up my pipes again at the beginning of thos year. And now rarely go for a cigar.

I have gotten into making my own blends with whole leaf and really prefer it now as it seemed a lot of the factory blends had at least some bite.

The ones that i really do like are from particular houses like Peretti, the Gawiths and Peterson that treat me well.
A burley that hasn't been mentioned is Peretti's 333.

Think about maybe picking up some leaf from wholeleaftobacco.com and experiment with your own, you can dial in on exactly what fits you.
Thanks so kindly for the advice, I am looking forward to this journey once again, second time around. Cheers

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I'll get in the zone, sometimes for a while, and then things somewhat come apart, and I might have a bowl or three that just don't work, and then I'll drift back into the zone. Many variables at play -- mostly my many variables, and the weather, and the pipes, and the blends. It sure is nice when things work together.
Thanks so much for your comments, that zone is fabulous when there. Cheers

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
If you want to stock up on that one it's sold in bulk as Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Match 759. That one is a bit heavy on the latakia so if you want to explore Orientals further, some options would be C&D Oriental Silk, GL Pease Temple Bar, GL Pease Cairo, C&D Orion's Arrow, and GL Pease Embarcadero.
Fabulous suggestions, I really appreciate it! Adding these to my list for sure. Cheers

Reactions: Chasing Embers

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
Good job!
I haven't been pipe smoking for as long as yourself, but my experiences are similar.
I too now stick to Va's & VaPers, having tried aromatics early on, then switching to English blends. Finaly settling on what what works for me.
Love the fall for smoking too!
Fall/Autumn pipe smoking is my favourite for sure. Can't beat it. I recall 12 years ago enjoying many bowls around Halloween and it was wonderful. Cheers

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I honestly don’t think we can say we Got It, unless we’ve smoked every blend on the planet.

Sure, a lot of blends are very similar, but a lot aren’t, even as subtle as they may be, there are differences.

If I had to take a wild guess, by the way you were talking about Aromatics, you are stereotyping typical Aros, goopy moist, heavily cased/topped, etc...

There are a lot of Aros out there, people are still calling VAs, Burelys, and VAPers, but they are clearly Aromatics cased and topped.

Now maybe, even subtle Aros like this could still bother you, then you are just overly sensitive, but these three are not typical Aros either.

Just remember, you can’t put every Aro under the same categories as saying they are all going to bother you, because of their toppings/casings, because they are not all prepared the same ways.

So your selling yourself short here, believing this, and also missing out on other great blends out there.

P.S. And when you mentioned how your throat feels, that’s probably because of Propylene Glycol, which can be heavily used in Aromatics, but it can also be found too in Non Aromatics.
Thanks very much for this response. Over the 12 years other than a few years ago selling off my pipe collection and baccy, I tried so many aro's. One I really enjoyed was MacBaren Vanilla Cream. Another was Gawith and Hoggarth Black Cherry. I didn't think either of these were heavily cased (could be wrong) and both times my throat felt like a knot. I do agree that the Propylene Glycol may have been the issue. I can only say that since I have stuck with Solani Aged Burley Flake (which might have a slight topping) the Balkan/English blends, Irish flake, and Capstan blue, I have had no trouble. Time will tell. Thanks again, cheers!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and PipeIT

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
It sounds like you’re well on your way. Learning to appreciate the complexity of a blend and pipe combo is a huge step. The final leg for me was to stop thinking so much about all that and just enjoy a good smoke as I go about my day. Trying new things is always fun though.
Absolutely, this time around I am enjoying the moment and excited to stick with what works for me. Thanks for the comments, cheers!

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I'll repeat myself for those who may have missed it. Never, repeat "never", throw out a blend you find too rough. Try what I do. Get your self a nice calabash... a real one, with a meerschaum bowl. I think you will find it will smooth out even the roughest aromatic or Virginia and make it smokable. And it will preserve the flavor but without the harshness. Works for me. puffy
Wonderful advice, thank you kindly!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@PipeIT,

I haven't smoked any of the three you mention, PipeIT. The Esoterica is like hen's teeth, although I'm still looking for it. However, if you say that the Samuel Gawith Grousemoor is very much like the two Esoterica blends, then I'll get some, as I guess it maybe easier to get a hold of.

Ha! waddya know. SP is currently out of stock of the SG Grousemoor.
Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man