PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Good for you. :)
I checked out a bump on my lip recently myself and I got the biopsy results giving me the all clear today so I know how unfunny it is to worry, needlessly or not, about cancer.
I also agree that the critics/snarkers could have shown a little more restraint. Consideration and manners aren't dirty words.

Dec 24, 2012
I am as big a joker as the next guy, but someone suspecting cancer isn't the person to play the part of jester with.
I echo this view completely. I have had a festering, silver-dollar size blister on my ass for the last several weeks and, up until a couple of days ago, I was sure it was the beginning of leprosy. I was anxiously watching my various appendages to ensure that they remained attached. I felt like I was Atlas, carrying the weight of the world. Luckily, a recent visit to the doctor confirmed that it was nothing more than a mere wart and (a) was not leprosy, and (b) was in no way pipe-related. I can't tell you how relieved I was. It was no laughing matter.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Peck: I read it . . . 9 minutes ago and, and . . . I'm still not back in full control.
I wasn't being sarcastic, I just do not understand how someone shares that kind of information with a bunch of, for all intents and purposes, strangers.
I understand why Peck does it, it's obvious that he's just missing a couple of filters, and I'm not referring to his pipes.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I'm sorry :laughat: but I can't help it ! I bet the doctor see a lot of this mess this time of year. Bunch of northern boys sticking their tongues to ski lift seats and mess up there.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Glad things checked out well for you. Make sure you see your dentist regularly.
As a pipe and cigar smoker I make sure I get into the dentist at least twice a year and sometimes go 3 times a year. I don't know if I've ever told my dentist I smoke pipes and cigars, but he's really good so if he saw anything that would be cause for concern he'd say something right away.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Glad it worked out. I'll be glad to see a lack of cancer related threads again.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm sorry but I can't help it ! I bet the doctor see a lot of this mess this time of year. Bunch of northern boys sticking their tongues to ski lift seats and mess up there.
Bout the same number as the southern boys pissing on an electric fence...:)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This morning, my wife rolled over in bed, glanced at me with her eyes half-opened and said "you look like you've been run over by a truck".
So I Googled "run over by a truck" and it doesn't look good. Most people die when they get run over by a truck. So I'm thinking, "how did I get run over by a truck?" and all that I can come up with is that I was smoking a pipe when it happened, and enjoying it so much, that I didn't realize that I'd been run over by a truck.
My hair is a mess, and I'm lying flat on my back, just like the pictures on Google.
I'm really worried now.
Has anyone here ever been run over by a truck? Did it go away on its own, or should I think about seeing someone about it? I have time in March, if I can get an appointment.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Allen been there done that, you made me giggle and I haven't done that in years, Wood know the feeling, picked a fight with a very big Marine, he turned me everyway but loose, load up another bowl, chug some strong black coffee and the world will be better for you.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
Once again, thanks for the kind words guys.
Regarding my pipes: I'm going try reintegrating puffing back into my life in the healthiest way possible without it causing me anxiety. If I can't, I'll be putting them up for sale along with some tobacco, so watch this space.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I think Peck (like myself to be honest), found some humor only because it seemed to be a real case of hypochondria....I mean- who goes on the internet and does their own research for something as serious as cancer, to the point where they ABSOLUTELY convince themselves they have it? As a reference, my brother is a Professor of Oncology at Stanford, my parents are both doctors, and I wouldn't even ask THEM! I go to my own personal doctor...as a kid, I wouldn't even let my dad give me stitches....that's my dad. Trusting the internet, or frankly a bunch of pipe smoking hooligans for advice? I found it humorous, sorry.
I don't know who said it, but I'd rather die from 50 years of pleasure than a broken heart, and giving up my pipe would break my heart. If it worries you, even in the slightest, I suggest you quit, and give that advice to anyone.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I don't know who said it, but I'd rather die from 50 years of pleasure than a broken heart, and giving up my pipe would break my heart. If it worries you, even in the slightest, I suggest you quit, and give that advice to anyone.
Sounds like solid advice.
I personally would prefer not to see cancer related threads on a pro-pipe forum. I'm not sure about anyone else here, but I hear plenty about that on Television and from random uninformed strangers. Lets try not shit where we eat.
Its good that you don't have cancer, perhaps it would have been better if you didn't mention the big C until it was proven to be true, which it thankfully wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.