Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I might have expected such disdain from our Spanish and Australian friends, but you're an American and should know better! :LOL:
I can never understand how people dislike baseball.
I think it has to do with not watching it enough to appreciate the complex strategy.

I'd imagine that cricket is similar, I can't understand it so find it boring but entire nations are captivated by it.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I think it has to do with not watching it enough to appreciate the complex strategy.

I'd imagine that cricket is similar, I can't understand it so find it boring but entire nations are captivated by it.
I agree. However, I like small ball, base stealing, bunts, and infield and outfield defensive plays.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

Test cricket is the best spectator (TV) sport in the Oz summer.

Put on the TV, then go and do a few chores, watch a bit, fall asleep, watch a bit, mow the lawn, then get back to the cricket.
The game is usually played over 4-5 days ('though some can finish in 3 days). There are often lengthy rain breaks when all play stops.

The TV commentary is full of countless replays, so you never feel that you have missed out on much of the action even if you've napped for an hour.

What other game is so forgiving for someone with ADHD
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Test cricket is the best spectator (TV) sport in the Oz summer.

Put on the TV, then go and do a few chores, watch a bit, fall asleep, watch a bit, mow the lawn, then get back to the cricket.
The game is usually played over 4-5 days ('though some can finish in 3 days). There are often lengthy rain breaks when all play stops.

The TV commentary is full of countless replays, so you never feel that you have missed out on much of the action even if you've napped for an hour.

What other game is so forgiving for someone with ADHD
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
That's exactly a big part of the appeal of baseball for me. Baseball is a sport you can pay as much or as little attention as you want to it. It lends itself perfectly to leisurely summer days and evenings. It's as good on the radio as on TV.

I am sure I'd like Cricket if I grew up around it and understood it's nuances and idiosyncrasies. If I ever move to England, Australia, India, Pakistan, etc. where the game is huge, I'd love to find some fans to watch games and learn with.

Reactions: chopper and marconi

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That's exactly a big part of the appeal of baseball for me. Baseball is a sport you can pay as much or as little attention as you want to it. It lends itself perfectly to leisurely summer days and evenings. It's as good on the radio as on TV.

I am sure I'd like Cricket if I grew up around it and understood it's nuances and idiosyncrasies. If I ever move to England, Australia, India, Pakistan, etc. where the game is huge, I'd love to find some fans to watch games and learn with.

There is Test Cricket - for the aficionados and cricket tragics,
and the 2 shortened forms of the game - One-day Cricket (50 overs per team) and Twenty-Twenty (20 overs per team - AKA bash&slash).
Twenty-Twenty is the big money spinner (esp in India) but hardly classic. All 3 forms of the game are played with different strategies

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

I do agree. Nothing like having a well called game on an old radio.

Reactions: danimalia

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Ah yes, the dreaded Nic-Hit.
I do find Virginia blends are not something to have on an empty stomach, they seem to be a little stronger in nicotine than my usual english.
And how do you watch baseball without falling asleep. never been able to make it past the 4th inning before being out like a light. Guess maybe I dont see the appeal to an american version of rounders.

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Been there before. Just something we have to learn the hard way I think. The key is to learn just when you start to feel it too much so you can stop before it's really uncomfortable.

Reactions: OzPiper

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
I had that happen around 2 years ago. Haven't smoked a pipe since. It was a really bad hit though and I was huddled over the toilet like I'd been out drinking all night. Couple that with having had surgery and it was a bad deal. Finally I'm starting to get that urge to pick it up again. I may just stick with some Carter Hall for a while so It doesn't happen again.

Also, I used to watch Baseball until I was stationed in Germany and the one thing I had to look forward to was the paper so I could keep up with my team. Then the Baseball strike happened . . . haven't watched Baseball since.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper