PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

depriest1022

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2021
Arkansas
www.researchgate.net
Ok. I was having a pleasant evening by relaxing, watching baseball, and enjoying a nice bowl of PS Luxury Navy Flake. The baseball game was still going when the bowl ended, so what would be wrong with a another bowl, right? I load up some C&D epiphany to finish the game.

As the bowl was half gone, I started to get light-headed and some slight nausea. By the time the game was over, I was definitely nic sick. That was unpleasant to say the least.

I am a fairly new pipe smoker after abstaining from all tobacco for 47 years. One bowl a day is probably my limit. That’s a handy fact to keep in your back pocket (your limit).

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Ok. I was having a pleasant evening by relaxing, watching baseball, and enjoying a nice bowl of PS Luxury Navy Flake. The baseball game was still going when the bowl ended, so what would be wrong with a another bowl, right? I load up some C&D epiphany to finish the game.

As the bowl was half gone, I started to get light-headed and some slight nausea. By the time the game was over, I was definitely nic sick. That was unpleasant to say the least.

I am a fairly new pipe smoker after abstaining from all tobacco for 47 years. One bowl a day is probably my limit. That’s a handy fact to keep in your back pocket (your limit).
Lim-it? What is this "limit of which you speak?

Just kidding. If you're new to nicotine, going slow is a good strategy. It can definitely get you the spins and make you feel a little green if you overdo it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, nicotine buzz happens, and sometimes it goes beyond pleasant. Take it slow with the second bowls. You may develop more resistance, or you may not. Milder blends may help too. Most online retailers have a rating for each blend's strength (nicotine). I've only been hit once or twice with light headedness, but fortunately I was headed to bed anyway. Sir Walter Raleigh is pretty low nic, for one, but there are many milder blends.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Nicotine tolerance builds with time. I started courting it after 3 or 4 years of smoking. At first I was wary of it but then I got sloppy and completely sold out, and within a year or two it was most of what I smoked. I had thought I liked DBE better than DF, because it was more complex, but smoking shag never took, and meanwhile I was cozying up to the deeper taste of DF.

I continued to adore it and smoke it because it very reliably kicked me in the head, and I liked being kicked in the head.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It is a real fine line sometimes between the pleasurable effects of nicotine and an overdose that leaves you feeling sick. I can totally relate, because the same thing happens to me sometimes. I'll finish a smoke while watching a game or something, and even though I know I just smoked something substantial, my lizard brain will kick in with, "some nicotine good, more nicotine better," and leave me feeling sick and over stimulated.

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I've had the same thing happen to me a couple times.
Now I know which brands that I smoke have higher levels of nicotine and always make sure to stop after one bowl of a stronger blend. I always also make sure I have eaten.

When I watch a game I smoke a low nicotine blend so that I can refill as needed without any concerns.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
When I got started with pipe smoking, half a bowl made me feel light headed. Nowadays it requires a big bowl, but it still happens now and then after winter, during which I smoke occasionally or not at all.
Just once have I packed another bowl immediately after finishing the first. It happened when I was having a long and complicated Chess game with a friend of mine, and he was really taking his time to figure out the best tactix. It was not a good idea, though, and it is emphasized a lot by fact that now I can't even remember whether I ended up winning or losing the game. It is very unusual for me to forget the result of any game I have played, if I am able to recall it. Propably I got too light headed and blundered my Queen. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

nicotine metabolizes quickly. Meaning it's not a matter of how many in a day as much as how soon afterwards. I always find over doing nic funny in that I can't stand any more and feel sick for 1/2 an hour and then shortly after that I feel like oh I need nicotine.