I Cannot Smoke Peterson University Flake, Little Help?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I have really enjoyed reading this entire thread. I have a tin of UF on deck, and having never tried it before AND being a new pipe smoker as well, I took a keen interest in the issues and solutions tossed around over the course of the thread. My experience with flakes has been limited mostly to what I'd consider to be lighter fare in terms of both flavor and physical characteristics, like LNF, OGS, and Drexel VIII. I've also enjoyed Hansom Flake, which was initially more persnickety for me until I found, almost by accident, that longer dry times for such a tobacco really help to promote a better burn. I stuffed a cob one evening and got distracted and never fired it up, then found it the next day, and was surprised at how much easier it was to keep lit; tasted great, too. So I'll be curious see how things go with UF, happily armed with everyone's input here. I've never done the cube cut thing, but maybe it's a good time for me to learn. Thanks, everyone!

Reactions: Fralphog

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I have really enjoyed reading this entire thread. I have a tin of UF on deck, and having never tried it before AND being a new pipe smoker as well, I took a keen interest in the issues and solutions tossed around over the course of the thread. My experience with flakes has been limited mostly to what I'd consider to be lighter fare in terms of both flavor and physical characteristics, like LNF, OGS, and Drexel VIII. I've also enjoyed Hansom Flake, which was initially more persnickety for me until I found, almost by accident, that longer dry times for such a tobacco really help to promote a better burn. I stuffed a cob one evening and got distracted and never fired it up, then found it the next day, and was surprised at how much easier it was to keep lit; tasted great, too. So I'll be curious see how things go with UF, happily armed with everyone's input here. I've never done the cube cut thing, but maybe it's a good time for me to learn. Thanks, everyone!
I often fold and stuff some Newminster 400 flake into my Eaton cob at the end of the night for smoking the following night. I think it is great that way to prep it. I have found cube cutting to be my preferred method with the UF.