PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I hate the stuff. Abhor it. The thing is if it tasted to you like it does to me there is no way you'd enjoy it. And I'am sure if it tasted to me the way it tastes to you I'd smoke it. I thought I hated otc but I smoke Sail and Five Brothers regularly and think they're very good. Still need to try Carter Hall. The thing with Captain Black is I almost like it. But there is something there that just ruins it and if that something wasn't there I'd really enjoy it. So I wish I could enjoy it because I can tell there is something good there. But end of the day it's your pipe and it's supposed to give you enjoyment and if a blend does that I don't care how I feel about it, it's a perfect blend for you.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I'm not much for Captain Black Gold, but, Captain Black Copper is another story entirely, and, no man can go wrong with Sir Walter Raleigh or Velvet! All hail the faithful supporters of tradition! We're only called "codgers" because those confused straight Virginia devotees are jealous. :LOL:

Cheers,

Chili

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm not much for Captain Black Gold, but, Captain Black Copper is another story entirely, and, no man can go wrong with Sir Walter Raleigh or Velvet! All hail the faithful supporters of tradition! We're only called "codgers" because those confused straight Virginia devotees are jealous. :LOL:

Cheers,

Chili
Actually I primarily smoke Virginias and aromatics.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Brobs,

Is is possible that you are the holder of an advanced degree in pot stirring? hahahahahahahahahahahaha....

Cheers,

Chili
Oh, he's a shit-disturber of the highest order, alright. One of my favorites, though.

I've never had any of the Cap'n blends. Does the Gold version contain black cav? They don't seem like my bag, but I'm kind of like Richard above where I can puff on most tobaccos and find something redeeming in them. Rare is the tobacco that is inferior to plain old fresh air. :LOL: The tobaccos i hate are usually hated more in a way that resembles ideological resentment than actual taste revulsion. For example, blends that are long on hype and price, but that I find underwhelming and mediocre.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Oh, he's a shit-disturber of the highest order, alright. One of my favorites, though.

I've never had any of the Cap'n blends. Does the Gold version contain black cav? They don't seem like my bag, but I'm kind of like Richard above where I can puff on most tobaccos and find something redeeming in them. Rare is the tobacco that is inferior to plain old fresh air. :LOL: The tobaccos i hate are usually hated more in a way that resembles ideological resentment than actual taste revulsion. For example, blends that are long on hype and price, but that I find underwhelming and mediocre.
Lol my problem with the Captain is the humectant... same with 1Q. Don’t seem to notice it in SWRA.