PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
It lost it’s essence; there is still that Erinmore aroma in the tin, albeit significantly reduced, but there isn’t the same flavour, the same room note or the same smoking pleasure as a result.

St Bruno, to me now, has a really strong smell of something different when fresh - malt vinegar? Ketchup? I don’t know but, after a while out of the pouch, it still tastes and smells wonderful to me.

Condor has also been altered significantly and I am only just getting my head around the new incarnation.

It’s sad really but there isn’t much that can be done about it I suppose.
St. Bruno uses vinegar as a mold retardant, but it airs right out, as you say. Still a favorite.

Erinmore, I think they're using the wrong tobaccos and it's out of my rotation permanently.

Condor I'm afraid to even try. Nobody thinks "Boy, I could go for some Polish pipe tobacco right about now." I can't imagine it being even close.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
St. Bruno uses vinegar as a mold retardant, but it airs right out, as you say. Still a favorite.

Erinmore, I think they're using the wrong tobaccos and it's out of my rotation permanently.

Condor I'm afraid to even try. Nobody thinks "Boy, I could go for some Polish pipe tobacco right about now." I can't imagine it being even close.
A friend just brought me back 250g’s of Ready Rubbed Condor duty free, which was very kind of him. Sadly, it smells ok but tastes like shoe polish mixed with Brasso; certainly not repeatable in a week, let alone a day!
I fear we are watching the aged beast, starving to death on the veldt, in it’s death throes, surrounded by hyenas and vultures. 🪦

I’m sure some would say it has already passed.

Guess I’ll stock up on some Bruno.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I purchase a tin of Erinmore from a B&M in Florida in the spring. I was nothing like how I remember Erinmore from the 1980s. I slowly managed to smoke my way through the tin by mixing the stuff with either Coniston Cut Plug or Gawith Broken Flake No:7. The new stuff is just genuinely wrong and doesn't even smell how I remember the stuff.

Erinmore Flake from the early 80s was one of my first blends to try, that stuff was amazing back then. I can still remember that fruity pineapple smell and taste.

You’re the only other person I’ve seen here mention Erinmore in the 80s. It’s why they’re in my Signature, Murray was great back then. :)

Reactions: rotate