PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Never tried Erinmore plug - I wasn’t even aware that it was a thing until recently, long after Murray’s ceased to be - hopefully it will be as nice as the old flake used to be.

The new Erinmore doesn’t have the same Erinmoreness that the old stuff used to have, I don’t think, but it’s still worth buying, in the hope that it returns to how it was one day. I bought an old Erinmore tin and that seems to improve the flavour; it probably doesn’t actually do anything to improve the flavour, I’m just codding myself.

As for the old St Bruno, that will be an amazing smoke I should think. I really liked that back in the day.

It’s fairly typical that I properly get into pipes (and no longer give a tinker’s cuss what other people think of me) years after the ‘big three’ - Ogdens, Murray and Gallaher all sold out. ?

Still, I buy them for the sentimental aspect and the memory of going to Kwik Save with my grandparents, so my grandad could get his ounce of baccy for the week.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I don't watch television, occasionally watch a movie, and haven't read many books published after the mid '70s.
Haven’t read a book that is newer than 20yrs old unless it’s nonfiction / history. Haven’t watched actual tv in a couple years, i fine I’m happier that way, but i do watch a hell of a lot of old old martial arts movies (Shaw Bros anyone?) a lot of old westerns and I’m current going through the entire run of The Virginian.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Both are very nice when smoked after letting them air dry for 15-30min and packed not too tight,rather loose
Agreed, both are lovely but Erinmore has lost some of that…Erinmore thing since STG took the production on.

Having said that, the Erinmore flavour only really came through with the first 3-6 puffs and then it was lost in a smoke of delight that lasts a good while.

I’m going to sup up and have a bowl of flake tonight I think ?

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
070675E6-1584-468E-B0E8-16D71FEE86FF.jpeg
Here’s the old Erinmore tin I use to keep their flake in. The seal has worn away but it works well for me when I need to take baccy out and about.

Also, the 6mm filter Falcon Coolway 12 is getting more enjoyable with every smoke; I wasn’t that keen on it to start with, I thought it was too heavy on the bowl end, it didn’t feel right when clenching but I’m coming round to it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I purchase a tin of Erinmore from a B&M in Florida in the spring. I was nothing like how I remember Erinmore from the 1980s. I slowly managed to smoke my way through the tin by mixing the stuff with either Coniston Cut Plug or Gawith Broken Flake No:7. The new stuff is just genuinely wrong and doesn't even smell how I remember the stuff.

Reactions: The Clay King

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I purchase a tin of Erinmore from a B&M in Florida in the spring. I was nothing like how I remember Erinmore from the 1980s. I slowly managed to smoke my way through the tin by mixing the stuff with either Coniston Cut Plug or Gawith Broken Flake No:7. The new stuff is just genuinely wrong and doesn't even smell how I remember the stuff.
True, true…sadly, true.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Erinmore was emasculated. An unrecognizable shell of its former self. The Bruno remains smokeable to me. In fact, I continue to love it.
It lost it’s essence; there is still that Erinmore aroma in the tin, albeit significantly reduced, but there isn’t the same flavour, the same room note or the same smoking pleasure as a result.

St Bruno, to me now, has a really strong smell of something different when fresh - malt vinegar? Ketchup? I don’t know but, after a while out of the pouch, it still tastes and smells wonderful to me.

Condor has also been altered significantly and I am only just getting my head around the new incarnation.

It’s sad really but there isn’t much that can be done about it I suppose.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@condorlover1 I'd have gladly incinerated it for you in my clay pipes:)