Hunter's Pipes, Anyone Actually Smoke One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm talking about those multi-piece things. I'm looking at one that is Bruyere with a silver cap and an antler stem kinda setup. It's cheap enough I might get it just as a decoration but it would be neat if it was actually meant for smoking as well.

Anyone have something like this they actually smoke?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to be confused with the Nording hunter pipes; my wife gifted me with a Nording zebra hunter which is a somewhat up-market Nording and an excellent smoker, nicely crafted.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I do have one of these that I used to smoke quite frequently. Although that was back in the days where I had even less idea of what the hell I was doing. Lucky I put the tobacco in the right end. A good friend and myself would buy a couple ounces of Raspberries and Cream pipe tobacco and puff away till our tongues melted, both in our hunter pipes. Good times.

I can't say whether or not it is a good smoker or not because at the time I would not have known the difference. I'll try to post a pic of it this evening.

Pikey Mick

Lurker
Jun 28, 2020
Wiltshire,UK
I have two and they are fantastic smokes. Dunhill Navy Rolls is a good VaPer in a briar but absolutely stellar in my porcelain hunter. Brings the perique out from mellow to full punch you in the nose!
A few words of advice on using one : remove the bowl if you want to tap out the ash otherwise you will get covered in tar etc where it collects in the reservoir under the bowl. And always clean the bowl with a damp tissue once it's cooled down because if you leave a cake to build up your pipe will be in danger of cracking. Also if you buy from second hand make sure you check the lid because there are a lot out there with rust all over them. Your bowl should only really be filled to the half way point or you could be looking at a 4 hour smoke!. I normally put out enough tobacco that I normally use in a briar and load it from there. IMHO they are the best pipes you will buy for a cool dry smoke and I wish I'd found them before I bought my other pipes. You will notice nuances in your blends that you won't taste in your usual pipes and I smoke flakes in mine with no problem.
Lightning one can be a bit of a challenge and I use a butane lighter with a long nozzle like you would use for lightning a bbq, and you have to take quite long draws because of the length of the stems. As a rough guide the bowls on mine are approx 2"long x 1" wide.
You can buy them new from Germany
GERMANUS - https://www.german.us › Pipes › Pipes
These are a few of mine, although I much prefer the porcelain ones.
Web results
Hunter Pipes - GERMANUS1594406479227179666067394589285.jpg15944065100367746908454923150432.jpg15944065713944400340691642482600.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect you have to research it a little so you know what you're getting. Some are real pipes designed with the smoker in mind, and some are decorative mostly.

Reactions: kg.legat0

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Does the porcelain get too hot to the touch? I reckon you're s'posed to hold them by the stem, but I wouldn't want to burn myself by accidentally having my bare skin come into contact with piping hot porcelain.

Ach, the ueber-cavernous bowl doesn't endear them to me either. These were made for @chasingembers!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does the porcelain get too hot to the touch? I reckon you're s'posed to hold them by the stem, but I wouldn't want to burn myself by accidentally having my bare skin come into contact with piping hot porcelain.

Ach, the ueber-cavernous bowl doesn't endear them to me either. These were made for @chasingembers!
They're too narrow. No where near my preferred tobacco capacity.

• Sad
Reactions: olkofri

Pikey Mick

Lurker
Jun 28, 2020
Wiltshire,UK

They used to get hot until I got the cadence right. You can hold them by the chamber that sits below the bowl as the bowl has a cork grommet. And yes the bowls are large but you only fill them half way anyway unless you want a 4 hour smoke!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
They used to get hot until I got the cadence right. You can hold them by the chamber that sits below the bowl as the bowl has a cork grommet. And yes the bowls are large but you only fill them half way anyway unless you want a 4 hour smoke!
Gotcha. I do smoke like a DB 18 201 locomotive, mind you. I'll see if I can get one, even if I have to fill the bowl only to 1/3 with fine ribbon. Thankee.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
They're too narrow. No where near my preferred tobacco capacity.

You're a bowl group "ZZZ" right?

bigpipe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.