Huge College "Class Pipe" Collection including Dunhills (Villanova Syracuse, Lehigh, etc.)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can’t figure out if this comment makes you way older or way hipsterer than me
Both!
Probably just older…….hopefully so, anyway.
Back in my day we didn’t have the word ‘Hipster’. People like that just got called Wankers! Lol
Oh that word probably predates you. The meaning has changed a bit but it's an old word. Used to mean someone who was wise and aware about the ways of the world. Morphed into someone who wants to appear that way.
Though the worlds has evolved to a point where everyone is a hipster now, even if they don't know it.

mark777

Lurker
Oct 14, 2022
For the past 5 years or so I have assisting a very good friend of mine with the restoration of his class pipes. I did it without charge, because he is a great friend and because I saw him as, essentially, a curator of a museum of American History (as it relates to tobacciana). He is the author of the Pipedia page on class pipes and, from what I gather, likely has the largest collection of class pipes in the USA. For reasons I will not go into here, he has decided to sell off his collection of over 50 class pipes. The collection will go up for sale sometime before Christmas.

Around 1900 and slightly earlier, pipe smoking on college campuses, by faculty and students was an important rite of passage. From the 1890's through the 1950's, the pipe signified "big man on campus" status. Class pipes were also a keepsake for memorializing an important point of a young man's achievement of earning a college degree. Here are a few interesting class pipes from my friends collection...
cool collection, Mark Twain would appreciate it, photo attached! eh.. if these traditions were preserved now in college

Attachments

• марк-твен.jpg
    марк-твен.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Since this thread is still open :) ...

I remember well when this collection appeared on ebay. I wasn't a collector of such things, so I didn't bid; however, I recently picked up a Yale 'Class of 1894' 'Claw and Egg' pipe that was made for Lew Stoddard's shop, so I googled for more info and ended up finding Brian's Pipedia article, discovering that Stoddard claimed to be the one who started making the college class pipes around 1910.

The 'claw and egg' pipe was owned by W.R. Moorhouse and is dated 1892 on the case, along with his 1894 class date. Moorhouse went on to work in the tobacco industry for a short time. The pipe and case are in fabulous condition - obviously a prized possession of Moorhouse. I also received another Stoddard meer that came from the same estate and was more heavily smoked.

Coincidentally, I picked up the Cornell/Columbia? 1916 poker the very next day, as part of a 5-pipe lot. The pipe was so caked that I left the chamber close to as-found, thinking perhaps filling the chamber was part of the smoking ritual - college kids are strange, right?

TdLG89Z.jpg

PxhEixa.png

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Since this thread is still open :) ...

I remember well when this collection appeared on ebay. I wasn't a collector of such things, so I didn't bid; however, I recently picked up a Yale 'Class of 1894' 'Claw and Egg' pipe that was made for Lew Stoddard's shop, so I googled for more info and ended up finding Brian's Pipedia article, discovering that Stoddard claimed to be the one who started making the college class pipes around 1910.

The 'claw and egg' pipe was owned by W.R. Moorhouse and is dated 1892 on the case, along with his 1894 class date. Moorhouse went on to work in the tobacco industry for a short time. The pipe and case are in fabulous condition - obviously a prized possession of Moorhouse. I also received another Stoddard meer that came from the same estate and was more heavily smoked.

Coincidentally, I picked up the Cornell/Columbia? 1916 poker the very next day, as part of a 5-pipe lot. The pipe was so caked that I left the chamber close to as-found, thinking perhaps filling the chamber was part of the smoking ritual - college kids are strange, right?

TdLG89Z.jpg

PxhEixa.png

That 'claw and egg' pipe is freaking gorgeous!