Huge College "Class Pipe" Collection including Dunhills (Villanova Syracuse, Lehigh, etc.)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
I believe "all" were attached with sterling silver pins, nails, brads, whatever you want to call them. Then buffed and highly polished removing any trace of the pin. Some have pins, which can be seen. I find it difficult to accept adhesive was used, other than to initially, hold in place. In over 50 pipes, I have seen only one missing a letter, or numeral. And I could see no evidence of how it had been secured. Sorry, that is all I know.

Reactions: anotherbob

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I believe "all" were attached with sterling silver pins, nails, brads, whatever you want to call them. Then buffed and highly polished removing any trace of the pin. Some have pins, which can be seen. I find it difficult to accept adhesive was used, other than to initially, hold in place. In over 50 pipes, I have seen only one missing a letter, or numeral. And I could see no evidence of how it had been secured. Sorry, that is all I know.

FYI... @ohfatty is the owner of this collection. All the pipes I am showing off here are his!

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
A couple of years ago I stumbled onto the extraordinarily good pipedia article about (and Brian's remarkable collection of) college class pipes. And became in turn thoroughly intrigued by the idea of several generations of American male college students being inculcated into something of a cult of pipe smoking their freshmen year.

There are a number of advertisements in the pipedia article that offer at least a hint of how all this was marketed. But one I stumbled on for New Haven's Owl Shop from 1941 (not included there) seemed particularly good.
Yale Class Pipe Owl Shop ad.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Here's a picture of my uncle at an honors recognition occasion when he graduated from college. It conveys the "feel" of the period quite well. Men were men, frivolous careers were frowned upon, WWII was ramping up in Europe, and tobacco-related activities were a significant part of life.

Too bad nobody was smoking at the moment---I suppose it was too formal---but I know he was a pipe man.

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 1.18.22 PM.png

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
A couple of years ago I stumbled onto the extraordinarily good pipedia article about (and Brian's remarkable collection of) college class pipes. And became in turn thoroughly intrigued by the idea of several generations of American male college students being inculcated into something of a cult of pipe smoking their freshmen year.

There are a number of advertisements in the pipedia article that offer at least a hint of how all this was marketed. But one I stumbled on for New Haven's Owl Shop from 1941 (not included there) seemed particularly good.
View attachment 180066

Incredibly, Brian has these 2 unsmoked Yale Owl Shop pipes. Yale, Class of 1951 and 1954. Imagine a tobacco/pipe shop on a college campus...

IMG_6452.jpegIMG_6451.jpegIMG_6453.jpeg

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
To "Guyless" Thank you, I have that article and should have included it on the page. I called the "Owl Shop" Had a lengthy conversation with (I think) the General Mgr. at the time. After we spoke, He told me searched every nook and cranny for any remaining silver letters or numerals, without success. Pity !

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
To Kobold, you can see the Syracuse pipe on the "College Class Pipe" page pipedia.org . It is a Comoy, Royal Falcon. Thanks for the interest, OHFATTY, (Brian)

Reactions: Kobold

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
To "Guyless" Thank you, I have that article and should have included it on the page. I called the "Owl Shop" Had a lengthy conversation with (I think) the General Mgr. at the time. After we spoke, He told me searched every nook and cranny for any remaining silver letters or numerals, without success. Pity !
At least you tried! I have to say I'm surprised by quite how fondly Yale's pipe smoking era is remembered and how much material is out there--including quite a lengthy mid-50s Life magazine photo feature about an annual pipe smoking "contest." This featuring several photos of an attractive token woman (at least a decade before Yale officially became coed).

Life Yale Pipe Contest.jpeg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Was it some sort of college thing way back when? I was only class of 90 and there weren't any pipe smokers. I mean there were, but they weren't smoking tobacco. Aluminum foil pipe wouldn't have lasted this long.