PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Hey, Woodsroad - I tend to like Mausers as a rule, but I have some Russian Mosins, AK's, AR's, an FN49, a CETME, pretty varied selection of other milsurps and handguns. I also have a custom .308 that is a tack driver and a .45-70 built on a Siamese Mauser action that will level any playing field. And I have a bunch of different shotguns and .22's. Got a nice Garand, an 03A3 and an Inland M1 carbine.

I hear ya on the "back when stuff was inexpensive". Used to pick up K98's for a couple hundred, Turk Mausers on "three-fers", SKS's for $100, all you could carry. Sure not that way nowadays! But like you, I foresaw that and grabbed anything I could while it was available.
In the mid-90’s I was buying Mosins from Century for $12 shipped in lots of ten. I’d wade through them, pick out a few to keep and sell the rest for $50 ea.

DaSOB

Lurker
Aug 7, 2023
In the mid-90’s I was buying Mosins from Century for $12 shipped in lots of ten. I’d wade through them, pick out a few to keep and sell the rest for $50 ea.
I did that with Turks I would get from Burns - keep the good ones and trade off the others to folks who mainly wanted the actions. Had to "de-Turk" those things pretty well - they normally were all gobbed up with cosmo and general crud.

Reactions: woodsroad

JC4life

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Essex
From one newbie to another welcome. I just got here and wealth of knowledge and helpfulness of the people has already been of real use. I grew up with shotguns and air rifles. All were really allowed here unless you got a genuine reason for owning. Your weapons list almost made me salavate!

• Haha
Reactions: DaSOB

DaSOB

Lurker
Aug 7, 2023
Welcome from sunny AZ and thank you for your service!
I just got on the pipe last year, good folks and good knowledge here.
Thanks! Got some fond memories of Phoenix from just after I got out of the AF. Got some not-so-fond ones of a few mornings after, too! Great folks out that way.

DaSOB

Lurker
Aug 7, 2023
From one newbie to another welcome. I just got here and wealth of knowledge and helpfulness of the people has already been of real use. I grew up with shotguns and air rifles. All were really allowed here unless you got a genuine reason for owning. Your weapons list almost made me salavate!
Yeah, I got one or two firearms! Even built a few AK's and AR's, like my retro Colt 604. It's a nostalgia thing - a 604 is the rifle I was issued in Basic. I scrounged parts from all over, but it was worth it. Rifle is period correct (1973) down to the "seatbelt" sling.

The folks here are wonderful and very helpful. Great forum!

Attachments

• 604.jpg
    604.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 4

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
Going down there is on my bucket list. I LOVE C&D's "The Beast", which is is a small batch run made from a hefty dose of Perique soaked in Rum. Nearest I can get to it on a regular basis is Holger Danske Black and Bourbon, which is loaded with bourbon, but is composed of Burley and Black Cavendish with no Perique.
I have two tins of The Beast that I have been very excited to crack open! I have not tried it yet, but made a trade for some based on reviews, as well as wanting to try something with that high of a perique content. I think that the highest content blend i have tried so far is Haddo's Delight, which i would highly recommend if you haven't tried it yet. I believe it's inspirations are similar to The Beasts (a blend that Aleister Crowley would have enjoyed)

Reactions: DaSOB