PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2021
Tejas
Welcome, and greetings from the Texas Coast. How are things in California-Lite? :ROFLMAO: Just kidding, my friend.

Don't sweat the learning curve, like tongue bite and discovering your palate's preference, it all comes with patience, practice, trying new things, and a willingness to learn; all of which you seem to have going for you. So, you're headed in the right direction.

Feel free to disregard the following unsolicited blend recommendations and advice, however, I can somewhat relate to your transition to the world of premium tobaccos and pipes.

First, with VA's, do take your time letting them dry out. Make it a part of your smoking ritual, if you will. They typically do not take incredibly long get to the acceptable moister level. Second, sip them slow and smoothly: they can possess incredible nuanced notes and they absolutely do burn hot, leading to bite. Lastly, I prefer a little spice, or kick, with my VA's and humbly suggest trying out a Virginia Perique (VA/Per) blends, similar to C&D's Haunted Bookshop, but with a higher content of Perique than Virginia. These Perique-forward blends, like Pease's Haddo's Delight or C&D's Kajun Kake, offer a more full-bodies flavor profile, as well as having medium to full strength.

More unsolicited recommendations (all apologies, I just enjoy talking tobacco and pipes): traditional English blends always carry a unique ability of reminding me of my younger, more ignorant days when I smoked cigarettes, but in a profoundly positive manner. The aroma, taste, and smooth strength they offer continuously take me back to the magical time when I first discovered tobacco as an adolescent; however, such blends positively illuminate the special bond between man, tobacco, and fire, minus "Big Tobacco" and their conniving schemes and carcinogens.

A few English blends I prefer, and are well worth a try if you have yet to have the opportunity, would be Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader, Dunhill's Peterson's Early Morning Pipe, and GL Pease's Westminster.

If you are looking for richly dark, heavy flavor bombs, packed with unadulterated nicotine power and strength,I recommend the following: Mac Barren HH Vintage Syrian, Bold Kentucky, as well as Old Dark Fire, Pease's Jackknife Plug, Captain Earle's Ten Russians, and Five Brothers PIPE TOBACCO! Tread lightly with the last two... they don't mess around! (side-note: an old-timer taught me if you ever do experience that awfully good nicotine sickness, pour a packet of sugar into your palm and lick. Then follow with a few sips of water. It alleviates the symptoms rather quickly).

Anywhose-it, enough of my delusional ramblings. Welcome, brother! And keep Austin weird!

Reactions: dozicusmaximus
May 15, 2021
Ohio
Welcome, and greetings from the Texas Coast. How are things in California-Lite? :ROFLMAO: Just kidding, my friend.

Don't sweat the learning curve, like tongue bite and discovering your palate's preference, it all comes with patience, practice, trying new things, and a willingness to learn; all of which you seem to have going for you. So, you're headed in the right direction.

Feel free to disregard the following unsolicited blend recommendations and advice, however, I can somewhat relate to your transition to the world of premium tobaccos and pipes.

First, with VA's, do take your time letting them dry out. Make it a part of your smoking ritual, if you will. They typically do not take incredibly long get to the acceptable moister level. Second, sip them slow and smoothly: they can possess incredible nuanced notes and they absolutely do burn hot, leading to bite. Lastly, I prefer a little spice, or kick, with my VA's and humbly suggest trying out a Virginia Perique (VA/Per) blends, similar to C&D's Haunted Bookshop, but with a higher content of Perique than Virginia. These Perique-forward blends, like Pease's Haddo's Delight or C&D's Kajun Kake, offer a more full-bodies flavor profile, as well as having medium to full strength.

More unsolicited recommendations (all apologies, I just enjoy talking tobacco and pipes): traditional English blends always carry a unique ability of reminding me of my younger, more ignorant days when I smoked cigarettes, but in a profoundly positive manner. The aroma, taste, and smooth strength they offer continuously take me back to the magical time when I first discovered tobacco as an adolescent; however, such blends positively illuminate the special bond between man, tobacco, and fire, minus "Big Tobacco" and their conniving schemes and carcinogens.

A few English blends I prefer, and are well worth a try if you have yet to have the opportunity, would be Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader, Dunhill's Peterson's Early Morning Pipe, and GL Pease's Westminster.

If you are looking for richly dark, heavy flavor bombs, packed with unadulterated nicotine power and strength,I recommend the following: Mac Barren HH Vintage Syrian, Bold Kentucky, as well as Old Dark Fire, Pease's Jackknife Plug, Captain Earle's Ten Russians, and Five Brothers PIPE TOBACCO! Tread lightly with the last two... they don't mess around! (side-note: an old-timer taught me if you ever do experience that awfully good nicotine sickness, pour a packet of sugar into your palm and lick. Then follow with a few sips of water. It alleviates the symptoms rather quickly).

Anywhose-it, enough of my delusional ramblings. Welcome, brother! And keep Austin weird!

Considering I was born in LA and moved away when I was 7, and ended up here when I was 12, I don't like it. Haha

Thanks for the recommendations!

I did try Old Dark Fired bulk. I loved the flavor, but it was the 3rd bowl I smoked. No drying time just kept lighting it and drawing pretty hard. Probably what did my tongue in. Haha.

I've had a few English blends so far. H&H Daybreak was pretty bland. I'll have to try it again. I have a few others. They smoke cool which is nice. But I think I want a heavier smoke.

My goal is to find 1 blend in each major category i can rotate. Then throw in some others here and there. I have a ton of stuff on the way, I need to get some jars. I have 12 oz of Hanted Bookshop on the way. Evertime I light that up really enjoy it. So I'll make sure thats always on hand.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello, Bill.

I am in Austin, near MLK & Airport.

Just noticed this thread, just before shutting down for bed, but am making a note to circle back around later.

Welcome to the forum!

1622783709478.jpeg

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Welcome from the Hill country! I live in Fredericksburg, work in Austin. I am in about in the same place as you in my pipe journey. I am enjoying these early days, but looking very forward to the simpler days that @coastalpelican describes.

Speaking of the coast - I am fishing in Port O'Connor area this weekend - should be a great place to smoke...

Enjoy the forum - folks here are super!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Circling back around to this thread, as promised.

I took a similar route as yourself. I smoked 33 years, switched to vape when forced by angina and other health related experiences.

I vaped 2.5 years, during which time I managed to assert control over nicotine. Whereas the cigarettes demanded my attention every waking hour, I found myself going longer and longer between vapes. It began feeling more like a "want" than a "need".

I then got a cheap pipe and some great tobacco and I have now been here pushing 4 years.

Austin has a couple of great shops, if you haven't found them yet.

Pipe World is great. They have a shop on Anderson and a new one on McNeil just west of I35.

Habana House has a great lounge. More of a cigar shop but they have a fair pipe section. Off 183 near Lake Creek Pkwy. They have a southern location, also, but I've never been.

We have a nice group of fellows in the Austin Pipe Club. @pylorns can get you squared away on that.

That's all I can come up with based on my current caffeine level.

1622902136104.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.