Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Yes, Netherlands. Well, it was a Phi Theta Kappa trip. We toured the Netherlands by bike, and then spent a weekend in Paris. Most of us wanted to practice our French and language skills. I just wanted to meet girls. I and a couple of friends were the only ones to bring our own bikes, what a hassle. I am not even sure if you can do that anymore. This was back in summer of '86. Came back with boxes of Drum tobacco.
Drum is good, Samson even better.
I always rolled my own . Till I quit , quite some years ago.

Drum is good, Samson even better.
I always rolled my own . Till I quit , quite some years ago.
Drum wasn't available in the US (or at least in my area) back then. But, it wasn't long till it did become available after the trip. I switched between Drum and Camel Lights for years, up until I started smoking pipes. Now, I don't touch the cigarettes. I just can't control myself... says the guy who smokes 10-12 pipes a day, ha ha.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Drum wasn't available in the US (or at least in my area) back then. But, it wasn't long till it did become available after the trip. I switched between Drum and Camel Lights for years, up until I started smoking pipes. Now, I don't touch the cigarettes. I just can't control myself... says the guy who smokes 10-12 pipes a day, ha ha.
Wow . I smoke 12 pipes 6 months.
" I can resist anything except temptation ".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd say .80 up should give the desired effect of letting all of the tobaccos in a complex blend burn at once. Purists should go for a full 1.0 or more, but it may not make for a pretty pipe.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
I'd say .80 up should give the desired effect of letting all of the tobaccos in a complex blend burn at once. Purists should go for a full 1.0 or more, but it may not make for a pretty pipe.
I like a wide pipe, basically for more volume of smoke in my mouth at a time. Some Virginias get too bitey for my Virginia pipes, which are more narrow and way taller. In a squat wide pipe, the fuller smoke allows me to enjoy them more. And, for a latakia or cigar blend, it only makes sense to me to go for a more fuller robust pipe.

I mean, size doesn't turn a tobacco into a completely different tasting blend, but it does affect the taste and affect some. Variety is the spice of life, IMO.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Maybe I should have said what I wanted the pot shape in the first place. It’s my understanding that a wide pot is good for blends that have several several constituent tobaccos and the wide chamber allows for these tobaccos to burn in a way to allow these tobaccos to shine on their own so has to enjoy a more flavorable smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It’s my understanding that a wide pot is good for blends that have several several constituent tobaccos and the wide chamber allows for these tobaccos to burn in a way to allow these tobaccos to shine on their own so has to enjoy a more flavorable smoke.
For some yes, for others no. Give one a try just to see, but a lot of pipe dogma is subjective to the individual.

Maybe I should have said what I wanted the pot shape in the first place. It’s my understanding that a wide pot is good for blends that have several several constituent tobaccos and the wide chamber allows for these tobaccos to burn in a way to allow these tobaccos to shine on their own so has to enjoy a more flavorable smoke.
Yeh, I think that the problem is when people will post on a thread that this or that tobacco is better in a pot-shaped pipe (for them). What they mean is a wide bowl, but the reality of pot-shaped pipes is that not all of them have wide chambers. Maybe they aren't aware of this.

I do like certain blends in certain bowl diameters, but I am not going to make a blanket statements about all complex blends in this or that pipe. Some I just like in wide bowls, even some single leaf tobaccos. That just comes with personal experience.

But, I wouldn't put too much stock in the assumption that all pipes with pot shapes have wide diameter bowls, just as I would assume that all dublins have narrow ones, nor all bulldogs having cone shaped bowls. The pipemakers have the luxury of making a pipe based on whatever dimensions they think fit whatever aesthetic they have in mind while making the pipe.

Uggg, my biggest problem with the pot, is that searching ebay for a "pot-shaped pipe":, immediately triggers you to see thousands of marijuana pipes used for paraphernalia.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Reading this got me curious. The biggest bowl diameter of the pipes I currently have is my WDC Wellington Giant, so grabbing it and a ruler brought the "revelation" that it is 15/16 inch. Outside diameter at the top is a tad under 1-3/8 inch.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Since there is no official sanctioning body for pipe shapes and chamber diameters, you get to be the decider. I always thought it should have a chamber of .90 or larger, but then I saw this Northern Briars. The chamber is .81 and the walls are over .50 . Smokes like a dream. Tomato, tomahhhto, who cares ?
IMG_1218.jpgIMG_1216.jpg