SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 1, 2012
To me, it's less about absolute measurements and more the "Potter Stewart test"...I know it when I see it. You can get hung up on fractions of an inch but in truth they don't mean much. Bowl height, chamber diameter, shank length, stem length, and je ne sais quoi all figure into the ideal size/shape of a pot.

Mar 1, 2014
I feel like it's not really a pot until the chamber is a full 1" diameter.
My Brebbia Fat Bob has a magnificently constructed bowl, 1" bore at the rim tapering to a point, the tapered bowl means the draft hole emerges quite near the actual center of the bowl, it's just a shame the slot in the button was almost nonexistent from the factory.
One of my favorite pipes after reworking the stem though.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
It is one of my favourite shapes, I prefer the walls to be massive. Wide ? Say "normal" , no more than 1" .
Preferably 0,75 " .
I own some Barling's pots with a tiny chamber ( and massive walls ) for a quick smoke ( Charatan's too ) and some I could easily dip my big toe in. Better not , tough I'm only a size 7,5 . So it is an aristictratic looking toe .

Dec 10, 2013
It is one of my favourite shapes, I prefer the walls to be massive. Wide ? Say "normal" , no more than 1" .
Preferably 0,75 " .
I own some Barling's pots with a tiny chamber ( and massive walls ) for a quick smoke ( Charatan's too ) and some I could easily dip my big toe in. Better not , tough I'm only a size 7,5 . So it is an aristictratic looking toe .
Typo : aristocratic.
And some arthritis too.

Pots are merely the shape. It can even have a .6" bowl and be a pot-shaped pipe. But, for me, I like variety. The bowl diameter doesn't impact whether I would buy the pipe or not, but it would dictate to me what tobaccos I would smoke in it, which is subjective, and for me is based on my own experiences with that tobacco.

These days, I have a whole lot more .6-.7" diameter pipe chambers, so I would only want one if it fell into the .9" range. But, there are bulldogs, dublins, billiards that can be in any of the .6-,98" ranges. I just pay attention to the measurements in the description and would never buy one without knowing the sizes.

I tell Skip at the Briary all the time that I just don't understand why he doesn't post the measurements online. If it weren't close enough to drive there, and my only option was to buy from him online, I wouldn't even bother.

Dec 10, 2013
Pots are merely the shape. It can even have a .6" bowl and be a pot-shaped pipe. But, for me, I like variety. The bowl diameter doesn't impact whether I would buy the pipe or not, but it would dictate to me what tobaccos I would smoke in it, which is subjective, and for me is based on my own experiences with that tobacco.

These days, I have a whole lot more .6-.7" diameter pipe chambers, so I would only want one if it fell into the .9" range. But, there are bulldogs, dublins, billiards that can be in any of the .6-,98" ranges. I just pay attention to the measurements in the description and would never buy one without knowing the sizes.

I tell Skip at the Briary all the time that I just don't understand why he doesn't post the measurements online. If it weren't close enough to drive there, and my only option was to buy from him online, I wouldn't even bother.
I envy you for living so close to the Briary. I own one Skip pipe. It is a gorgeous billiard with a silver band and a lucite, swirl acrylic stem. How close is close anyway ? You people are known for driving for 2 hrs. to have a coffee with a friend :)

I envy you for living so close to the Briary. I own one Skip pipe. It is a gorgeous billiard with a silver band and a lucite, swirl acrylic stem. How close is close anyway ? You people are known for driving for 2 hrs. to have a coffee with a friend :)
I live about 20 minutes away from the Briary.
Yeh, you must be from Britain? Where 100 miles is far away, but 100 years is not that long ago, ha ha. Two hours is nothing, but a pipe smoke up to my second farm, ha ha. I can drive that sometimes 5 days a week.

Dec 10, 2013
I live about 20 minutes away from the Briary.
Yeh, you must be from Britain? Where 100 miles is far away, but 100 years is not that long ago, ha ha. Two hours is nothing, but a pipe smoke up to my second farm, ha ha. I can drive that sometimes 5 days a week.
Thank you for the compliment, but I'm from Holland where 10 miles is far away, but a 1000 years do not matter .
Posh .. a second farm, at a 1,5 hour drive :)

Dec 10, 2013
2nd farm... Ehhhhhhhhh, I wouldn't call it that. Second fields. It's not uncommon for farmers to have fields spread out over several states. I also run some land up in North Carolina, so that is a 4-6hour drive.

Holland, I did a bike ride across your country in college. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
Yes, we are congenial people and Holland is beautiful.
Suppose the bike ride across our country did not take too long.
We are presumed not to say "Holland" anymore :)
How come biking across the Netherlands ?

Last edited:
Yes, we are congenial people and Holland is beautiful.
Suppose the bike ride across our country did not take too long.
Where not supposed to say "Holland" anymore :)
Why us ?
Yes, Netherlands. Well, it was a Phi Theta Kappa trip. We toured the Netherlands by bike, and then spent a weekend in Paris. Most of us wanted to practice our French and language skills. I just wanted to meet girls. I and a couple of friends were the only ones to bring our own bikes, what a hassle. I am not even sure if you can do that anymore. This was back in summer of '86. Came back with boxes of Drum tobacco.

My Brebbia Fat Bob has a magnificently constructed bowl, 1" bore
To bring this back to the OP... I love my Fat Bob. The only Brebbia I own. The only pipes I have that match that bowl size were artisan made, requested to be that big. I wish there were more pipes made with bowls that large to chose from.