PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have full length pipe cleaners but right now I can't get a bristle brush through. It hits a particular spot from either end and stops like there's a pipe of tobacco dried and stuck to the inside of the stem. I'm wondering if an overnight soak in water might help softer up whatever it is.
You need churchwarden length, or a spool of pipe cleaner that you can cut to length. Wet the pipe cleaner with alchohol and work it in as far as you can. Then walk away for 20 minutes and start twisting it against the blockage. You'll gradually wear away the crud. You may have to repeat this a number of times before the blockage is gone.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
An alcohol soak didn't help. I'm not getting any color out either so I'm beginning to suspect the stem has a flaw in the airway.

Not sure what to do next.

Reactions: BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve used old guitar strings to clear stuff like that. They bend, and have enough strength to push through obstructions, without crumpling like a pipe cleaner.

I usually polish the airway of a stem using a pipe cleaner with some Rottenstone applied. Chuck it in a drill And spin it...

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Did someone call for a 5/64" x 12 aircraft drill bit?

View attachment 34895
The obstruction is right where the bend in the stem is.

I'm confident in my skills enough straighten the stem and drill it out but not to re-bend it and have it look right.

I've been thinking of something like threading some twine with some lapping compound on it through the airway. Not sure how effective it would be though.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
You could probably also tempt the tuba player with a double cheeseburger. I’m just saying, have you ever seen a skinny tuba player?

That is anti-tubist. Reported to Admin... Tubists have a lot of air, but we can't even play trumpets because the mouthpiece is too small.

My 2nd chair tubist in high school was also the hottest girl in school. Seriously. It was a little weird at my high school.

• Haha
Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.