PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I received an estate Churchwarden that is in fantastic shape. It really only needed a very light cleaning/sanitization. I did just that but noticed the draw was slightly restricted.

This pipe is practically brand new. Combine that with the pipe cleaner coming out with some telltale brown color on it from the mouth side and I'm inclined to believe the stem has a piece of tobacco in it rather than a flawed draft hole.

I can't seem to get anything out of it though. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, the stem has a very mild bend in it but is otherwise straight.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have full length pipe cleaners but right now I can't get a bristle brush through. It hits a particular spot from either end and stops like there's a pipe of tobacco dried and stuck to the inside of the stem. I'm wondering if an overnight soak in water might help softer up whatever it is.

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I have full length pipe cleaners but right now I can't get a bristle brush through. It hits a particular spot from either end and stops like there's a pipe of tobacco dried and stuck to the inside of the stem. I'm wondering if an overnight soak in water might help softer up whatever it is.
Can’t hurt. Do you have an air compressor? You could blast a little air through the stem.

Reactions: BROBS
Aug 1, 2012
Get a tuba player from the local marching band and get him/her/(insert pronoun of your choice) to blow as hard as they can through it. If they're in college, they'll do it for a beer or 3, if they're younger, for a video of them blowing out the clog for their Instagram feed.

If it doesn't work, at least you will have had some fun...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Lemon juice will break down nicotine and tar when soaked overnight.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
You might think this is heresy, but I have used a thin stripped section of copper wire, taken off a magnet, and run that through a plugged stem. If you do this, take your time with it and don't be aggressive. Soaking the stem was also involved.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Stems are by far the #1 source of restrictions and usually by their design rather than a blockage. Drilling a mouthpiece is usually at least a three step process. The largest drill is used until the mouthpiece thins to the point where a smaller bit is required. Finally, from the button, the airway is widened to fan out the smoke. Since it's unseen, this is an area that is an easy place to cut corners. Sometimes you end up with a too narrow airway the whole way. Other times, an abrupt change in diameter causes moisture, tar, and especially pipe cleaner fluff to collect.

If there is actually debris in there, I would suggest removing the stem from the pipe. Start at the button with a narrow pipe cleaner, like a Diil's. Run the pipe cleaner through your fingers first to remove any fluff. Give a healthy blow through the stem. Repeat. Now, do the same from the other end. You can also try this with a Dill's bristle cleaner. Ideally, you'd finish with a long churchwarden cleaner, always from from button end. Going from the other direction risks having fluff collect where the drilling narrows, which on many pipes can be quite abrupt -- to the point where your pipe cleaner wire hangs up on the ridge.

Best of luck!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Get a tuba player from the local marching band and get him/her/(insert pronoun of your choice) to blow as hard as they can through it. If they're in college, they'll do it for a beer or 3, if they're younger, for a video of them blowing out the clog for their Instagram feed.

If it doesn't work, at least you will have had some fun...
You could probably also tempt the tuba player with a double cheeseburger. I’m just saying, have you ever seen a skinny tuba player?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'll give soaking a try before getting carried away.

I can draw through the stem it's just a little restricted and I can't get a pipe cleaner all the way through at the moment.

The stem overall is about 8.5" long and the obstruction is about 2.5" from the mouth end and 6" from the other end.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'll give soaking a try before getting carried away.

I can draw through the stem it's just a little restricted and I can't get a pipe cleaner all the way through at the moment.

The stem overall is about 8.5" long and the obstruction is about 2.5" from the mouth end and 6" from the other end.
it could be a flake of vulcanite.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I have had luck with this exact issue by soaking the stem and then taking a long pipe cleaner and chucking it up in a variable speed hand drill and spinning the pipe cleaner through the stem. I only did it once but it worked a treat I say.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.