PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
To address not being able to do it or having difficulty doing it:

It's very easy just to hold smoke in your mouth and breathe in and out of your nose without involving the smoke.

As mentioned, for some reason it's very easy to blow cigarette smoke out of your nose but not pipe (or cigar) smoke. Just as inhaling said smoke from a cigarette is nothing like inhaling pipe (or cigar) smoke.

The difficulty is not inhaling, coughing, or burning your sinuses/inside of your nose when getting pipe (or cigar) smoke to come out of your nose. Some people or very used to/practiced at doing it but for others it's akin to the first time you inhale smoke and hack up a lung.

The whole point of this thread is sure, you can force your way through the hacking and burning and eventually get used to it but you don't have to. In fact you don't need the smoke at all to get a small burst of flavor. Not everyone is a seasoned or practiced smoker and this a way for those that aren't to enhance their smoking experience. (You don't have to make faces or noises either.)
I have always had some trouble with this. If I simply pull the smoke into my mouth and then attempt to blow out my nose, the smoke does not go along for the ride. Ive tried pushing the smoke with my tongue but cant get the smoke to flow through my.............velopharyngeal sphincter.

A slight chewing mime works for me. I also saw a video where they mentioned initiating swallowing which for some reason works as well.

Reactions: shanez and BROBS

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Smoke probably comes out your nose and you don’t even notice. That’s how it works for me.
Think the missus would have said something by now. :)

0ac2ae5df95fd2289775ced1ef74da49--taurus-bull-graphic-design-illustration.jpg

North of the Border Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2021
Toronto, Canada
When you smoke a cigarette, or some funny bacco for that matter, you inhale it into your lungs. From there you can release the smoke either out of your mouth or nose. Easy.
When smoking a pipe, you do not inhale the smoke into your lungs. That is why a lip smacking, ie tasting , or making a grumbling sound will help to open up the passages to your nose. I think these are just supposed to be starter tips. Once you get the feel it should be easier w/o said motions.
Also, I think this is a totally legitimate questions. I completely struggled with it and while it got easier it does not come natural to me. If one cannot ask about it in a pipe forum, where then.
So here are some gold stars to all the retro hale super heros...

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
A 'forced' retrohale is really not the way to go. If you use the 'breath method' there will be a natural retrohale with every exhalation.
Set the pipe aside and breath with your mouth open. Air should flow through both mouth and nose. Now cover your mouth partially with your hand- more air will be diverted to the nose.
Now, instead of using your hand, just breath in and out gently with the pipe in your mouth. Keep your lips closed continuously throughout multiple inhalations and exhalations. Voila, you are now a pro at retrohaling!

North of the Border Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2021
Toronto, Canada
A 'forced' retrohale is really not the way to go. If you use the 'breath method' there will be a natural retrohale with every exhalation.
Set the pipe aside and breath with your mouth open. Air should flow through both mouth and nose. Now cover your mouth partially with your hand- more air will be diverted to the nose.
Now, instead of using your hand, just breath in and out gently with the pipe in your mouth. Keep your lips closed continuously throughout multiple inhalations and exhalations. Voila, you are now a pro at retrohaling!
Good point. Thanks.

Reactions: pauls456

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Maybe this may sound funny, but I don't see any smoke leaving my nose while I do get flavor to my sinuses. I also have a hard time to retrohale whispy smoke, thick chewy smoke I can get to my sinuses very easy. Maybe I have a blockade somewhere. I don't think it hinders my ability to taste, but I can't be 100% sure.

Reactions: pauls456

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Yes, I think the anatomy can differ from person to person. Some people have a narrower connection between the oropharynx (back of the mouth) and the nasal passages.
Like you said, I rarely see smoke coming out of my nose unless its a really smoky blend. But sometimes when I smoke outside at night, I see the smoke more often, due to backlighting.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I wish I knew how not to retrohale. ? There's more unintentional inhaling with retrohaling.
For most it's a habit, a smoke is so welcome in the oral cavity that a body lets it go everywhere but I'm sure it feels unnatural at first, it's normal for a healthy, clean organism to scream: You shall not pass!