PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
If you're like me you have difficulty retrohaling. I can't get the smoke to come out of my nose or I fry my nostrils trying.

I've found the following method very helpful:

With your pipe going properly, breathe in first, take a small or regular sip/puff/whatever, gently blow the smoke out entirely with your regular breath. The moment the smoke is gone, close your mouth completely and tightly. (I even push my tongue against the roof of my mouth.) With your mouth closed force the last little bit of breath you normally don't exhale out of your nose. You should notice an instant burst of flavor.

You can practice this even without a pipe. It's just forcing the last little bit of air from your lungs out of your mouth through your nose. Plus, since no smoke actually goes through your nose, there is no burn.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I just thought about how I retrohale and it’s just like I was making a growling noise. That will open the sinus passages to your mouth. Except I stop short of growling and just exhale smoke out my nose like a sleeping Smaug

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I was able to do it with cigarettes, without inhaling. There was just this unique motion I had learned to make with my throat muscles to pull the smoke into the pharynx and then exhale it whichever airway I wanted: nose or mouth.

After taking up the pipe, I somehow lost the ability to perform said motion. One of the last times I had a cigarette and tried, the smoke would not stop at the pharynx but go lower and I started getting sick from nicotine intake. Beats me why the pipe messed that good thing up, but I can't do it anymore. Now, tt all goes into the mouth and out the same way.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You throat inhale. Try it for four or five bowls and you should get it. You don't need to smack your freaking lips, growl or any other silly bullshit. Can you imagine four pipe smokers sitting on a bench smoking, growling, smacking their lips and whatever contortions being described to smoke their pipes? People would think they're phuktards.

You may draw some into your lungs at first but it shouldn't take long to get it. Once you do, it basically becomes automatic.