PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Are you taking time between puffs/sips? If you are already smoking slowly, this may not help, but if you are smoking too quickly it could be cutting short your oxygen intake and making the nausea worse for you.
This could be a reason. Along with smoking on an empty stomach.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
SO I got halfway through this thread, then i had to go and make some pancakes.
Personally, there's just something about certain tobaccos that I can't handle. Often it's a top note or similar that triggers either a physiological or psychological response for me and I get nauseated. For example, Peterson's Perfect Plug and Erik Stokkebye's 4th Gen 1931 flake both have a similar note that I can't handle, taste just makes me sick on the initial light. Yet, I can smoke Grousemoore without a problem :lol:

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
If aromatics will do this to you, hold on to your socks with Peterson Irish Flake.
You could try drinking a sugared soda while smoking. Also, over time, your nicotine tolerance will rise.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Change your tobacco. In addition to possible nicotine effects, the type of leaf or topping can have an adverse effect.

^^

This.
It might be blend related. I know Sam's Blend gave me a nasty nausea on the day after I had it.
Make note of other factors or conditions present on the day you have nausea. What foods did you eat on nausea day and the day before? Environment? Emotional?
Since you're coming from cigars, I'm thinking it's not nicotine-related. Hence my suggestion to start making 'pipe notes' about other stuff going on.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
How to prevent nausea while smoking?
Turn off your phone. Eliminate any media news sources. Chase the family out of the room. Enjoy!
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had the same reaction as warren. If I sometimes got nauseated from smoking a pipe, I'd only smoke after an ample meal and with plenty of liquid in my system. If I still had the problem, I'd stop smoking a pipe, except for special occasions, and not even then if it made me nauseated. You sound like me, a bit tightly wound, and you'll have to tune your activities to that, but you sound like you're doing okay with it.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
That's funny because I just tossed in a pouch of the venerable Mixture #79 with my last bout of TAD out of morbid curiosity... Turns out I actually kinda like the stuff!

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
If aromatics will do this to you, hold on to your socks with Peterson Irish Flake.
You could try drinking a sugared soda while smoking. Also, over time, your nicotine tolerance will rise.
I think this may have something to do with other things mentioned above, since I used to inhale cigars, smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day, and never felt nauseated.
Empty stomach and smoking too fast are the best bets so far.
But I think that Embers nailed it.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I had the same reaction as warren. If I sometimes got nauseated from smoking a pipe, I'd only smoke after an ample meal and with plenty of liquid in my system. If I still had the problem, I'd stop smoking a pipe, except for special occasions, and not even then if it made me nauseated. You sound like me, a bit tightly wound, and you'll have to tune your activities to that, but you sound like you're doing okay with it.
Exactly! After big rich meals, the pleasure of smoking a pipe is much bigger! And no nausea of course.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think this may have something to do with other things mentioned above, since I used to inhale cigars, smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day, and never felt nauseated.
That'd tend to greatly reduce the probability that it's nicotine related, as others have mentioned.
Empty stomach and smoking too fast are the best bets so far.
Worthwhile, but my bet is on the tobacco itself. What is it?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Worthwhile, but my bet is on the tobacco itself. What is it?
Common drugstore aromatics like 7 Seas, C. Black and local Brazilian blends like this one:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2489/tabacos-cisne-branco-finamore-ltda-irlandez

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I found myself getting queasy when I'd have a bowl of strong tobacco that was starting to go out, and I would suck more and harder (I'll probably regret the wording of that last part) trying to keep it lit, which was a mistake. I'd get more nicotine than I expected that way, and I'd have to set the pipe down until things settled.
You'll probably build up a higher tolerance pretty quickly, but in the meantime maybe use a smaller bowl or don't fill large bowls up all the way. I like to drink sweet tea (iced tea) when I smoke to cleanse my palate and keep my mouth cool. I think it goes well with just about every pipe tobacco, flavor-wise.
Non-conventional shortcut method: Pack a fat wad of Skoal in your lip, work up a nice big mouthful of Skoal juice, then swallow it. Pipe tobacco will no longer bother you. (EDIT: I do not recommend this method. :lol: )
Side effect: You won't be able to smell or taste wintergreen for several years without wanting to barf. I learned that the hard way.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I can't believe that we've gone 28 posts without someone suggesting the OP for sure stays away from Mixture 79.
That one's out of the bag now,people are actually like it. Probably my fault. :mrgreen:

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
That's how I've always done Kodiak.
That's pretty hardcore. Later on I would do the apple or berry Skoal teabags occasionally, which meant having my masculinity questioned if I was caught. No, I didn't carry the cans in my purse next to the tampons.
A friend of mine would sit in court for hours with a wad of Skoal on board.

"Where will you spit?" I once asked.

"I don't", he replied.

Dude had a cast iron stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.