PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been smoking flakes for years and the fold and stuff method works great for me. There is a video of a guy named Per something or other and he makes it really easy to learn how to do it. I like this method because it makes my flakes smoke great. They smoke cool and flavorful and really easy. Once you learn it you will get a nice cool, dry smoke and It will become very easy for you. The cube cut is also a pretty easy way of doing it.

PapeChulo

Lurker
Oct 27, 2020
I have been smoking flakes for years and the fold and stuff method works great for me. There is a video of a guy named Per something or other and he makes it really easy to learn how to do it. I like this method because it makes my flakes smoke great. They smoke cool and flavorful and really easy. Once you learn it you will get a nice cool, dry smoke and It will become very easy for you. The cube cut is also a pretty easy way of doing it.
Just went to the video and tried this fold and smoke method. I like it better than rubbing out the flakes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I told along the length, then in half, give it a little twist and stuff. I've done it so many times now, I could do it blindfolded. If there's too much to fit the bowl, I pull some small pieces out so it does stuff easily. If there's room left, I add some of the small pieces in the tin to fill it up. Less than ten seconds.

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
I can't seem to figure out how dry a flake needs to be in order to fold and stuff. I have SG chocolate flake and, contrary to what most say, it seems pretty dry to me. It just doesn't stay lit for me, even after letting it dry for an hour.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I can't seem to figure out how dry a flake needs to be in order to fold and stuff. I have SG chocolate flake and, contrary to what most say, it seems pretty dry to me. It just doesn't stay lit for me, even after letting it dry for an hour.

It really does seem like they put some fire proof casing on there. I'm smoking a bowl of SG 1792 Flake now, and I was catching hell getting it lit.. she's burning just right now.. but that took a few relights.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com

Try folding and stuffing the flake into the pipe and then let the pipe sit over night. The tobacco should be plenty dry and should light a little easier.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It really does seem like they put some fire proof casing on there. I'm smoking a bowl of SG 1792 Flake now, and I was catching hell getting it lit.. she's burning just right now.. but that took a few relights.
It's strange because unlike some of the other Gawith flakes, 1792, Lakeland Dark and Dark Flake will all dry out pretty easily for me. But even when they're dry, they're pretty hard to get going and lit. Once I get them going and there's a bit of an ash layer, though, it's not a problem the rest of the way through a bowl. I love them despite the pain in the ass factor.

I'd been meaning to revisit folding flakes, but I won't be experimenting with Gawith flakes. Maybe MacBaren or K&K, those flakes are a dream to work with.

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
I smoke alot of flake and have fallen into to doing the ball in the palm to thoroughly rub it out. I am going to revisit fold and stuff this week though. I find it insightful to occasional try something a different way. I changed the way I tie my shoes a few years ago. Years and years, same way. But I like this way better. On the other hand, some times I just like the feel of my old ritual movements...

Reactions: OSOBUCO and Laurent

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
I have done a few bowls cube cutting the flake and drying for 3-3.5 hours. That has worked pretty well for this tobacco, though I feel like 3 hours is too long. Some minimal dust does get created when I pack the pipe. I am not sure if that is normal or whether I am letting it dry out too much.

Reactions: Laurent

Chrisd123

Lurker
Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
Like this?

Reactions: Laurent